About 35 student leaders met with President Jehuda Reinharz last Friday for a Q-and-A session about the University's budget crisis, according to Student Union President Jason Gray '10, who recommended the meeting to the administration.Gray said that Reinharz updated the students on the budget cuts and answered questions. Students asked how they would receive information about future budget decisions and emphasized the importance of academics, athletics and student services to them, he said. Neither Reinharz nor Senior Vice President for Students and Enrollment Jean Eddy, who was also at the meeting, could be reached for comment.

The Department of Student Life invited most of the students, Gray said. The group included Community Advisers, Undergraduate Departmental Representatives, students involved with athletics and students from various areas of study.

"I think it's important for students to be involved in the budget decision-making process and that President Reinharz and the University administration update students continuously about what is going on and make themselves available so the students can ask their questions directly," Gray said.

Gray said he thought issues regarding the budget should be brought in front of the Student Budget Advisory Committee and that the University should communicate directly with students via e-mail about budget developments as well as hold more such meetings. Making sure that the administration adheres to those guidelines for communicating with students about the budget crisis is a "work in progress," Gray said.

The budget situation is "very real and very unfortunate," Gray said. "What I've been spending most of my time doing is working to get students involved in this process," he said.

Carrie Mills '12 attended the meeting on Gray's invitation. She and Liza Behrendt '11 addressed the Union Senate about budget concerns two weeks ago. Mills said her top priority was academics. Because Reinharz was awaiting reports from departments on Dec. 15, she noted that there were not many details to discuss.

"I was delighted to hear that they were not going to be cutting back on need-based scholarships," she said. "President Reinharz made it very clear that they were going to do their very best to ensure that students who had need-based scholarships would continue to receive [them]." In an e-mail to other students interested in the budget crisis and its effects on the University, Mills noted after the meeting that Eddy described the Athletics department as receiving the largest portion of the budget.

Her other concern, she said, was ensuring enough student voice in the decisions. "I was a little disappointed to hear that [the administration was] hoping to push students toward the [Student Budget Advisory] Committee to voice their opinions," rather than encouraging them to speak directly to the administration. "It doesn't exactly [reflect] a true democracy, in my opinion," Mills said.

The Student Budget Advisory Committee will meet again tomorrow, Gray said.