The first of three farmers markets planned for this semester will take place at Brandeis this Sunday in order to support local farmers and provide more healthful choices for students.The idea for bringing a farmers market to Brandeis originated as a project in Prof. Laura Goldin's (AMST) "Greening the Ivory Tower" class last semester and was conceived by Mariah Rich '10, Nicole Starman '10 and Samantha Lenard '10, with help from Jessica Fernandes '10.

According to the project's Web site, "Due to the rising costs of food production and governmental incentives for large farms, many smaller farms must fight to stay alive. Thus, our market will serve a need for both farmers and students. Because all of our suppliers are from Massachusetts, Brandeis is giving back and supporting the eastern Massachusetts economy."

Lenard said, "The goal of the class is to have a project that makes Brandeis more sustainable. So we took on the idea of a farmers market because we thought there was a need for more produce on campus and more choices for students. Bringing a farmers market also supports local farms, and it would be a great thing for Brandeis."

In an e-mail to the Justice, Goldin wrote, "My initial reaction was that this was going to be a difficult project, and that they could be in for some unpleasant failures. But I appreciated their ambition in making this work, and the best projects in this class sometimes involve risks."

The farmers market, which is open to both the Brandeis and Waltham communities, will take place in the Gosman parking lot from 12 to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 7. According to Rich, Starman and Lenard, there will be vendors from all over Massachusetts selling fruits, vegetables, jams, tea and soap. Participating vendors include Hanson Farm, Flats Mentor Farm and Natick Community Organic Farm. The Brandeis bakery, part of dining services, will provide kosher and nonkosher bread, and there will be people selling crafts.

The administration was originally skeptical of the idea of bringing a farmers market to Brandeis, Rich said. "But once they realized it would work, they became very supportive."

The farmers market coordinators needed to discuss and obtain insurance in order to hold a farmers market on campus in case something happened, during food delivery or the actual market, according to Director of Public Safety Ed Callahan.

He said, "[The proposal] was positive, and to have produce and fresh fruits and vegetables available for the campus and the community seemed like a good idea."

Students for Environmental Action president Matthew Schmidt '11 said in an e-mail to the Justice, "We think the idea [of a farmers market] is a great one. While there has been a farmers market in Waltham for years, transportation to the market has always been difficult for students."

Schmidt added, "Bringing the farmers market to the students will not only make it easier for students to enjoy local produce but hopefully also spark enough interest and desire for these products that students will find a way to attend the Waltham market in the future."

Starman stressed the fact that "this was completely a student-led initiative, and we're trying to make this campus more sustainable, to help promote healthy choices and involve the Waltham community."

Rich, Starman and Lenard hope the Waltham community will want to be a part of this initiative.

"We are going to set up a table in Usdan this week so that more students know about the farmers market, but everyone we've told so far has wanted to help and volunteer," Starman said. "[The support] is not just coming from one group that's environmentally focused; it's coming from everyone around campus, which is great," she added.

The farmers market will return to Brandeis Oct. 5 and Nov. 2. Rich, Starman and Lenard said the farmers market won't occur during the spring because of harvesting complications.

In an e-mail to the Justice, they wrote that it was difficult for them to recruit farmers and vendors because the project does not have any credit as an established farmers market. However, they feel that having three farmers markets is a success because it is the project's first year.

"We would like this to be something that stays at Brandeis," Lenard said. "We're really looking forward to the first farmers market, and hopefully it will grow from there.