Having finished in fifth and sixth places, respectively, at last year's University Athletic Association Championships, the men's and women's cross country teams will be looking to improve in conference competition this year behind strong sophomore cores."In cross country it's huge [to have a year under your belt]," coach John Evans said. "We expect to see a pretty big jump in pretty much all our sophomores from what they did last year. It's very difficult to step right in as a freshman in cross country."

On the men's side, Mekonen Gendebo '11, last year's UAA rookie of the year and an all-New England performer, returns along with classmates Dan Anastos '11, Paul Norton '11, Zack Schwartz '11 and Sam Donovan '11. Gendebo missed qualifying for the NCAA championships last year by just seven seconds, running his fastest time of the season in the New England championships, finishing in 25 minutes, 20 seconds.

An experienced senior class that has emphasized strong training and solid teamwork returns along with the standout sophomores.

"I think this year . we definitely have the numbers to be a very solid team," co-captain Mike Stone '09 said. "I think clearly [Gendebo's] ability would augment that, but I think our approach has definitely been moreso to look at the team as the sum of the parts and try to communicate well and get everyone on the same page, so that everyone is performing strongly, and we can have different people pick up the team at different meets."

Evans said such leadership could give the squad a chance to be nationally ranked this year.

"Stone and Matt Jennings '09 have really led the team throughout the summer," he said. "Everyone's trained significantly harder than they have in the past. We have a shot at a national [ranking] this year."

Five rookies join the fold, led by Chris Brown '12, who was second in Massachusetts in the indoor mile during the winter indoor track season at Chelmsford High School with a time of 4:19.

The women's team also returns a core of sophomore runners that experienced promising rookie seasons, including Marie Lemay '11 and Hannah Lindholm '11. Grayce Selig '11, who ran exclusively during the track and field seasons last year, enters her first season on the cross country team.

"I wouldn't be surprised if [Lemay and Selig] were at the front of the UAA field," Evans said.

Last year's captain Katy Agule '09, also returns. She believes her teammates' commitment to keeping fit can help them achieve success as a squad.

"Everyone's really come back in great shape, and I feel like they really worked hard, because they really want to do extremely well this season," she said.

"I feel like, with the UAA the way it's going, the top four teams are all nationally ranked, and that's where we want to be," she added.

Evans believes the 2008 recruits may be the strongest of any he has brought to Brandeis. The list includes Kate Warwick '12, Molly Shanley '12, Erin Bisceglia '12, whose sister, Megan Bisceglia '07, also ran cross country, and Alyssa Pisarik '12, sister of teammate Beth Pisarik's '10.

The men's squad hosts Endicott College Saturday at 1 p.m., while the women's team faces Bentley College Friday at 1 p.m. in Weston, Mass.

-Julie Ganz and Jeffrey Pickette contributed reporting.