A student-organized trip to the Palestinian territories-primarily funded by former President Jimmy Carter's 2002 Nobel Peace Prize Fund- will take place during February break, said Justin Kang '09, one of the trip's organizers.Rising to the challenge set forth by former President Jimmy Carter in his speech at Brandeis last January, the students will travel to the West Bank and Israel in an attempt to have a diverse experience and make connections, Kang said.

From the $30,000 budget for the trip, $28,500 is being provided by Carter's fund for cameras and books to be used on the trip, among other supplies, and an additional $1,000 came from the Peace Awards, Kang said. The Peace Awards are given annually to people who wish to work toward coexistence and peaceful ways of addressing and resolving conflicts of many sorts, according to the Brandeis Web site. The money allows for 11 delegates to travel a full and dynamic itinerary, he said. "There were no stipulations; we had full control of the itinerary to make it open," Kang said.

"We all greatly enjoy being Brandeis students, and it is because of the ideals at Brandeis that we can go on these delegations," Kang said.

In light of the sensitive and expensive nature of the trip, the application and selection process was rigorous, Kang said. The organization came up with ideas for the focus of the trip and settled on "diversity."

Twenty members from the Students Crossing Boundaries group, founded by Kang, were on the planning committee for the trip. The goal was to "create a committee and delegation of diverse personalities, experiences and backgrounds," according to Kang.

SCB is composed of student leaders who have joined to empower each other, as well as other students, to explore the realities of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict firsthand, according the group's Web site.

The group is in no way affiliated with the University, Kang said. After discussion, University administrators decided not to back the trip due to safety concerns, according to Executive Assistant to the President John Hose. Last spring, there was a trip in cooperation with the Palestinian Al-Quds University to Turkey.

When planning the itinerary of the trip, SCB solicited the "advice of numerous outside organizations for suggestions and advice because they are all experts in this field," according to Kang. These organizations will help with travel and logistics, as well as safety concerns. The students also performed their own research in an attempt to create the best all-around experience. "The main focus of the itinerary was to really get a sense of Palestinian life in its entire spectrum," Kang said.

The group will maximize its time spent in Israel and the West Bank, a short eight days, Kang explained.

"Five days we will be in the West Bank, and in addition we will spend a lot of time in Jerusalem to talk with Israelis," Kang said. In order to get a realistic and full sense of Palestinian life and the current situation, the students will meet and talk to the public and political officials in the West Bank, as well as visiting Al Quds University and the Bir Zeit University.

"We're going to look at all aspects of life," with a focus on health, education, youth, gender, politics, history and rural life, Kang said. Some nights of the trip will be spent at homestays with a Palestinian family, allowing the students to "have a really personal interaction with people we meet," according to Kang.

Safety will be a top concern at all times. "We're working with professionals," said Kang. The group will be led through the West Bank by an experienced guide. In addition, Kang and the SCB have worked with outside organizations to get the best possible advice on safety. Everyone in the delegation will be carrying a cell phone at all times.

The students have been split into two groups for traveling purposes. One group will be leaving Boston on Wednesday, Feb. 13 for those students who observe Shabbat. This group will return on Sunday, Feb. 24. The second group will leave Boston on Friday, Feb. 15 and will return on Monday, Feb. 25.

Once the delegation is in the West Bank, Gabriel Gaskin '08 and Deborah Laufer '08 will be considered trip captains, Kang said. They will assume leadership roles throughout the trip. Student Union Treasurer Choon Woo Ha '08 will be the trip's treasurer, handling all financial aspects.

SCB wants to set a precedent with this trip and create more like it, Kang said. The club is already in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to the Mexican border next spring to study immigration, but for now their excitement is focused on the present. "It's going to be a great trip," Kang said.