Students returning to campus last week have found a cleaner pond in Massell Quad, as well as a renovated Chapels Field.The pond was dredged to remove sediment buildup and a new fountain was installed in University-funded repairs, according to a Student Union press release last Tuesday. The renovation of Chapels Field was also completed over the summer, and the grassy area was opened for student use last Saturday.

The renovation of Chapels Field cost just over $300,000, Vice President for Capital Projects Dan Feldman, wrote in an e-mail to the Justice.

Jason Gray '10, the director of Union affairs and last year's Massell Quad senator, said the improvements happened after negotiations throughout last year between the Student Union and vice President of Campus Operations Mark Collins.

"Thank Mark Collins," Gray said. "He is great to work with. I pushed for it, Collins got it done. This is going to be a year of collaboration with the Administration, leading to many more improvements around campus."

Union President Shreeya Sinha '09, like Gray, emphasized that the Massell pond and Chapels Field improvements are indicative of positive collaboration.

"It's great that the Student Union was able to work together with the Administration," Sinha said. "Our goals were aligned, and, as a result, Chapel's Field looks great and is a great resource for so many students."

Former Massell Quad resident Tamar Ariel '10 said that the improvements to the pond enhance the appearance of the Quad.

"Before, I thought [the pond] was a waste of potentially beautiful space," she said. "Now it makes the entire quad look better."

On Chapels Field, an irrigation system was installed, a fence was constructed around the field, and new turf and grass were added, according to a Union press release last Wednesday.

"The renovation of Chapels Field is a great asset for the campus," Sinha said. "Not only will this open up much-needed space for sports clubs, but it also provides a great location for events.