In an effort to raise money for environmentally friendly energy sources, Students for Environmental Action has proposed the addition of an new line-item to tuition bills. Students would have the option of paying the proposed line-item, a $30 charge that would fund wind energy.If the proposal passes, the money would go to the New England Wind Fund, which supports community wind turbines as a renewable source of energy, according to SEA Energy Coordinator Jamie Pottern '09 and General Coordinator Stephanie Sofer '09.

"We're minimizing the use of fossil fuels . for more of a renewable resource," Sofer said.

Any changes in tuition require approval from the Board of Trustees. In early lobbying efforts, SEA decided to pursue a Student Union referendum and collected about 700 signatures in two days, more than the approximately 500 votes (15 percent of the student body) needed, Pottern said.

Union Secretary Alex Braver '09 validated the signatures, and members of SEA presented the referendum at the Senate meeting two weeks ago, meaning that the proposal will go on the ballot during the April 26 election, according to Union Director of Executive Affairs Adam Gartner '07.

Gartner said if over 50 percent of students support the measure then it becomes the official position of the student body. SEA representatives and others who want the measure to pass will discuss it with the Union, the University Board of Trustees and the administration in order to add the item to the budget.

The idea of having this option added to the tuition bill was first brought up at a Brandeis Environmental Sustainability Team meeting earlier this year, Pottern said. She added that Prof. Eric Olson (Heller), who is part of the Green Decade Coalition, proposed the idea of supporting the New England Wind Fund.

According to both Olson and Pottern, the idea was influenced by Clark University's decision to make this option available on its housing agreement, especially because there was a high level of participation.

"The good thing about the New England Wind Fund is that it . specifically works with developers of new wind products," Olson said.

Both members of SEA and the Student Union are enthusiastic about the proposal. "As students, what [this proposal] really says is that the University should make it a commitment to see what we can do on this campus," said Ariel Strauss '07, a coordinator for SEA. He added that SEA and the Union hope this measure will take effect next semester.

According to Olson, the Massachusetts Technology Collaborative has agreed to match any voluntary student donations with twice the amount and send the money to Brandeis, Bentley College and low-income neighborhoods to provide for renewable energy projects.

Strauss says though there have been some questions posed as to what the money will actually support, the sharpest criticism he has received has been that there are no wind turbines or other sources of renewable energy on campus. "As students, what that really says is that the University should make a commitment to see what we can do on this campus," Strauss said.

Students were hopeful that the option could be included in next semester's tuition agreement, and that many students will contribute to the fund. "We're optimistic [that this could be implemented for the upcoming year]," Sofer said.