As part of their efforts to reform the campus alcohol policy, Student Union officials have been meeting with administrators to assuage concerns over a recent draft proposal penned by the Union, including that it may facilitate underage drinking. The proposal, which among other reforms, would allow student groups to purchase alcohol through vendors other than Aramark and allow underage students to enter an event's beer garden, cannot be enacted without the approval of several senior administrators.

Officials met with Vice President for Campus Operations Mark Collins Thursday to discuss the proposal.

Student Union President Alison Schwartzbaum '08 said that Collins' main concern was whether the proposed policy would make it easier for minors to obtain alcohol at public events.

Collins said Monday night that the students he met with made it very clear that this would not be the case. "This is clearly not one of the goals," Collins said. "And that was good to hear."

While Collins would not comment on his concerns in detail, he stressed that the University is bound by Massachusetts law and the liquor licenses Brandeis holds.

Both the Union officials and Collins said they felt encouraged about reaching an agreement after the meeting.

Union officials said they will meet with other important administrators in the coming weeks.

The proposed policy must be discussed with a broad group of University departments including Dining Services, Public Safety and Conference and Events, Collins said, adding he will only be able to comment further after meeting with those offices.

"[After those conversations,] we'll see where we go," he said.

Improving social life has been a central goal of the Union for years, and the enactment of a new alcohol policy by administrators last January incensed Union officials, who said they were not consulted. Meanwhile, administrators over the last few years cancelled ModFest, a popular campus party in the Foster Mods.

The Union began working on the proposal after they complained that the current policy makes it too costly to serve alcohol at campuswide events, therefore hampering social life.

Senior Vice President for Students and Enrollment Jean Eddy declined to comment.