Over the past few seasons, a lack of star power certainly wasn't a problem for the men's basketball team. In 2004-2005, center Brian Lambert '05 posted 16.3 points and 7.8 rebounds per game to lead the Judges to a 14-11 season, their first winning year in a decade. Forward Steve DeLuca '08 filled that statistical void last season by piling up 18.4 points and 7.6 boards per game. But the Judges finished with an identical 14-11 and fell short of any postseason competition.This season, though DeLuca's scoring has dropped to 15.4 points per game, the Judges made their first NCAA tournament in 29 years, where they beat Trinity College 77-70 Friday but lost to Rhode Island College 70-67 Saturday in round two. [See Story] While DeLuca's scoring accounted for 27 percent of the team's offense last year, that number dropped to 21 percent this season. In addition, the Judges had eight scorers averaging at least 5.7 points per game, compared with just five last year.

Coach Brian Meehan said the more balanced offensive attack, in which DeLuca has received more help from his teammates, was instrumental to the Judges' success this season.

"Last year, we just didn't get enough help on a consistent basis from everybody else, and a lot fell on DeLuca," Meehan said. "This year, we have had many more guys contribute, which has made us much more dangerous since teams have to worry about more than just shutting down DeLuca. We aren't as one-dimensional."

Despite the drop in DeLuca's individual statistics, Meehan said the forward's strategy on offense hasn't changed.

"Teams are doing more to try to stop DeLuca, which means he has more guys to pass the ball to," Meehan said. "If teams were double-teaming him last year, he would have made the same exact adjustments. He was an unselfish player to begin with."

And make no mistake, DeLuca certainly appreciates the extra help on offense.

"It helps a lot, because the load doesn't lean on me every time," DeLuca said. "We have a lot of confidence in everyone.