After he was named the United Athletic Association Player of the Year in 2005, expectations were sky-high last year for men's tennis star and captain Sam Jonas '07. However, after a shoulder injury limited him to a pedestrian 10-7 singles record last spring, Jonas is entering his senior year with something to prove. JustSports caught up with Jonas before the season to talk about his struggles last spring, the recovery process, and his expectations for this season:

JustSports: How did your injury affect your play last spring?

Jonas: In the short term, my serving power was more or less nonexistent. I also suffered a general lack of flexibility and a loss of velocity.

JS: Considering that you were the 2005 UAA Player of the Year, how disappointing were last year's results for you?

Jonas: I had an expectation to do something more than I did last year, but I still felt like I had a productive season, and I wasn't disappointed with it at all. I should have been better last year than in 2005 because of what Coach Lamanna has brought to the team, and everyone else had a successful season playing higher in the lineup.

JS: Did your struggles have a trickle-down effect on the play of the rest of the team?

Jonas: It always hurts when any starting player isn't performing up to his best, but we did as best as we could as a team. We didn't really let it get to us, and we played a lot of good matches, even some of the ones we lost.

JS: Did being forced to battle back from the injury improve you at all as a player?

Jonas: In the long run, the injury helped me, in that I never had to play when I was not ready to play. This helped me grow up. I have learned how to play while struggling, and now, I am fully recovered. Now, I am able to grind a little bit more. It's important to know how to win without your best stuff.

JS: How did Coach Lamanna help you in the recovery process?

Jonas: He has been pushing me to work hard and not to give into the drawbacks that my injury caused, such as not being able to serve the ball and not being able to reach out. He just hasn't let me use the injury as an excuse.

JS: What extra responsibilities come with being a senior leader and a captain on this year's team?

Jonas: I have to make sure I am a good leader and that I act positively on the court. I just need to be an example for everybody else.

JS: What are your expectations for the team this season?

Jonas: Mike Vulfovich '07 has a really big serve and can play with anybody, and our recruiting class is supposed to be really solid. Our whole team can win at every single position. It is a really strong squad.

JS: Are senior players like yourself and Mike Vulfovich particularly motivated this season, being that it is your last?

Jonas: This is a pretty hungry and motivated group of guys. Once the season starts, we will find that we are even more determined since this is our last year.