In the recent Student Union election, an amendment passed to establish the task force known as AMP as a permanent committee. The task force, whose initials stand for "A More Perfect," was created last month.The committee, which will be impaneled every four years, is now described in the Union constitution as a "task force charged with conducting a full review of all aspects of [the Union], including the operation of clubs, secured organizations, and Union government."

Composed of Union officers, club leaders and Assistant Dean of Student Life Alwina Bennett, the committee proposed the amendment to gain autonomy from oversight by the Union Senate.

"[This committee] came together at the instigation of the student government but the committee is beyond the student government; it tries to represent all students," Bennett said.

Lisa Kim '06, one of AMP's two directors, said the committee has been gathering feedback from the community on Union operations, club funding and management, event planning and secured organizations.

Kim said the task force interviewed various student organizations to evaluate the constructive as well as the crippling aspects of the Student Union constitution.

According to Bennett, the task force must decide standards for which organizations are worthy of student activities funds, an issue that requires a distinction between "genuine interest groups" and "hobbies."

She said that among the current set-up's flaws is that it allows for certain clubs to receive more money than they need at the expense of others.

Bennett referred to the chartered ballroom dance team, which received $13,000 from the Finance Board last year but had only 20 dancers, as an example.

The committee will also focus on the money allocated to the campus' secured organizations. These seven groups-Brandeis Television, Archon, the Justice, WBRS, Student Events, the Waltham Group and the Brandeis Emergency Medical Corps -receive a guaranteed percentage of student activities funds each academic year as mandated by the Union constitution.

AMP includes representatives from 11 campus organizations including the Intercultural Center, club sports teams, chartered clubs, secured organizations and the Union government.

The amendment will be formally enacted in the fall, when Union President Jenny Feinberg '07 will appoint three alumni, two "members at large"-whom Feinberg describes as individuals not affiliated with the senate or secured groups-as well as one community adviser.

According to Bennett, the task force has focused on gathering feedback from different campus organizations as well as from senators and the Finance Board.

"We've been trying to identify what the issues are and what problems are facing the student government, what club and organization leaders think are problems, and what the general student body thinks are problems," Bennett said.

Senator at Large Donnie Phillips '05, who sits on the committee, said it will have a more defined plan of action in the fall. He said AMP is moving slowly and breaking down tasks to fulfill their "very ambitious goals."

"It's impossible to deal with such a big task between March and April, but not between August and March," he said. "We started small and decided how to improve the club system instead of looking at the rules of the senate or finance board."

Phillips said the committee aims to propose a finance system geared toward club development and longevity.

According to Bennett, one option would be to require a budget proposal from the seven secured organizations at the beginning of each semester.

The task force will host a public forum today in Schwartz Auditorium at 7 p.m. to discuss the research and feedback they have collected on Brandeis' club chartering and funding process.