In the corner of the Shapiro Campus Center atrium on Monday, 24 women, one man and a few walk-ins cut their hair the minimum of 10 inches needed for Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs from human hair for cancer patients."I've had long hair all of my life and I decided to let it grow a little longer than usual and donate it," Dana Sawitz '08 said.

Melissa Gersin '05 coordinated the event, which is now in its third year. Other coordinators, Amanda Martin '06 and Rachel Kay '06, donated their hair when Gersin began the event and are both donating again this year.

To inform the campus about the opportunity to participate in Locks for Love, the three hung posters and stuffed mailboxes. They also brought in stylists from Hair West Inc. in Wellesley, who perform haircuts for Locks of Love every Friday at their salon.

"We've been participating [in Locks of Love] for quite a few years now," Hair West stylist Lori Lacoste said. "[Friday] is one of our slowest days so we try to accommodate people."

Lacoste, along with two other stylists, were lined up in front of three chairs in order to perform multiple haircuts at once. When each person sat down, their hair was brushed straight, put into ponytails depending on thickness and then the ponytails were cut off. These are saved. Hair from approximately seven people are needed to make one wig.

Alex Amann '05, who is participating in Locks of Love for the first time, was the only male to donate hair this year. He has been growing his hair for two years since his roommate at the the time and him were "lazy" about cutting their hair and then decided to grow it out for Locks of Love; his roommate donated last year.

"Earlier today when I was showering, I rationed out the conditioner so I could finish it today," Amann said. "Now I can go back to using a lot less."

He pulled out his WhoCard from his first year at Brandeis which showed how short his hair used to be.

"I will look like my ID again and I won't get funny looks when I walk into bars," Amann said.