Representatives from Hillel and the ICC discussed planning for the "extreme quad challenge," an event expected to take place on April 8.Union Director of Academic Affairs Alan Tannenwald reported that Dean Rosenthal's proposal to amend the pass/fail option passed its first reading at a faculty meeting. He said it needs to pass another similar process to become final.

Tannenwald said that the University is looking for other ways to fund sports clubs other than through the Union.

Non-senate chair of the Advocacy Committee Adam Gartner presented an amendment created by the election reform task force that uses instant runoff voting. Reforms include a ranking system that would reduce the election to one round, a new voting period lasting 48 hours and the release of results within one day of the election. Senators said they had difficulty understanding the specifics of the presentation, and that they were concerned that the student body would find it confusing.

The Brandeis Poker Club changed its name to the Brandeis Pokerstars Club.

The Pirate Club, whose purpose is to "express love for the pirate life," was recognized.

The Radical Student Alliance, previously a recognized club, was chartered after arguments among the senators concerned about overlapping purposes with the Activist Resource Center.

The Brandeis Labor Coalition reintroduced its parity resolution to the Senate. They said that the administration expressed great enthusiasm for the initiative and is seeking a cost-effective solution to the problem. The resolution passed 10-6-1.

After much debate, an amendment to the bylaws was defeated. It would have given the finance board the power to allocate money from the new auxiliary fund. A main argument was over whether clubs could receive money from both the auxiliary fund and the finance board for the same events.

Two new amendments were tabled until next week. One would allow the revision of a piece of legislation without a senatorial vote if its sponsors deem it "friendly."

Another amendment discussed the creation of a task force to review the Student Union, including the distribution of the Student Activities Fee.

-Compiled by

Lindsay Vacek