Alumni Representative Matthew Closter '05 was charged on March 18 with violating his duties of his office by studying abroad during his term last spring. Brian Lober '05 filed the case originally on March 11 but withdrew it the next day. Andrei Khots '05 then refiled the case on March 18, but withdrew it after Closter apologized yesterday.

"The fact that Closter spent a semester abroad and went unnoticed is something that needed to be discussed," Khots said.

Closter was elected to the two-year position in the fall of 2002 as the senate representative to the alumni.

"I thought it was a joke at first," Closter said. "It just seems very moot at this point. Essentially I did violate a clause in the constitution and I accept that. But this [case] comes at a time when I'm going to be replaced anyway."

Closter said while studying abroad last spring, he maintained contact with the office of alumni relations. He also said that the Union never informed him that he could not fulfill his duties while abroad.

Before Closter had issued his apology, Khots said he thought the case was still valid for discussion and Union Justice Samuel Dewey said the case would demonstrate the consequences for representatives who he said neglect to fulfill their duties.

"Although I agree in its factual context the suit is stupid, I find the question of law worthy of judicial resolution by the full Court," Dewey said.

Khots agreed with Closter, saying the Alumni Representative position is not well understood. Khots said he thought a Union Judiciary case would help clarify the job's functions and explain how Closter's absence went unnoticed until now.

Khots e-mailed Union justices Sunday night to state his withdrawal of charges against Closter.

"I hope that the case filed before the Union Judiciary points out the necessity for the Alumni Representative position to actually be more clearly defined and become aligned with the Student Union," his statement said.