They may have some of the best individual talent in the nation, but Brandeis fencing still has a long way to go in order to make its presence felt in national fencing. Kai Keller '07 qualified for the epee at the NCAA regionals at Yale on Sunday, but he is the only Brandeis fencer who will be competing at the NCAA championships in Texas Mar. 17-20.Coach Bill Shipman is determined to give Keller the best chance possible of succeeding in the NCAA Championships.

"We will try to prepare Kai as best as we can," Shipman said. "Our goal is for him to get into the top group and hopefully be an All-American."

Saberist Meredith Freedman '05 finished 11th and ended up just one touch short of making the finals in her event, while men's foilist Eugene Vortsman '08 finished 11th, also just shy of making the finals and qualifying for the NCAA's.

Foilist and Captain Benji Rostoker '05, who qualified for the NCAA Championships last year, was ousted in the first round. The defeat ended Rostoker's career at Brandeis on a sour note.

"I had a terrible day, this was my worst performance at Brandeis in four years, which is really unfortunate for it being my last," Rostoker said. "I was proud to be captain of a team that performed amazingly well, and I think Brandeis is in a strong position to keep recruiting good fencers and to keep getting stronger and stronger," Rostoker said.