The University is working toward improving fire safety on campus as part of the infrastructure renewal project, a part of the 2001 Campus Master Plan, and has re-opened Scheffres in North Quad after last semester's renovations for mid-year students. The project continues to be funded by a long-term $25 million debt approved by the Board of Trustees in fall 2003.

Mark Collins, the head of university services, said that implementation of updated safety codes has served as a catalyst for acceleration of the project. He said what originally began as a six-year initiative should now end in two to three years.

Collins said their main goal is to install sprinkler systems in each of the residence halls this summer.

North Quad Director Rusmir Music said that sprinklers and smoke alarms were installed last summer in some residence halls and that his quad is scheduled to receive them this summer.

Scheffres had the installations last semester when the residence hall was closed for additional renovations. Music said that the dorm has been largely refurnished and redecorated with a complementary color scheme in hallways, stairways and common rooms.

Though the improvements made at Scheffres are technically separate from the infrastructure renewal project, some of the renovations fell under this title when the department of Residence Life partnered with Facilities to install fire safety equipment.

According to Music, most resources were devoted toward renovating the building's bathrooms and common rooms. He said that each of the building's three large bathrooms were gutted and split into separate single-gender lavatories. Some bedrooms also received furniture replacements, including bed frames and new mattresses.

Music also added that Residence Life is continuing discussions with students and staff on the possibility of similar renovations in other dormitories.

Other recent improvements include steam line and roofing repairs, which Collins said are progressing. Another evolving project is discovering ways to conserve energy, like constructing green buildings, new windows and more efficient heating systems.

According to Collins, the current state of the project consists of discussions for what improvements can be made next summer. Collins said that administrators involved in its planning are stressing the need for "life safety equipment" installations in both North and Massell quads, the Foster Mod apartments and the Charles River apartments.

Associate Vice President for Planning, Design and Construction Dan Feldman said plans for construction to update classrooms will occur primarily during the summer under architect Einhorn Yaffee Prescott.

Feldman said that several classrooms will eventually be improved, probably two of which will be classrooms with "tiered, theater-style seating." Of such rooms, Lown 2 and Olin-Sang 101 are under consideration for improvement.

Feldman said the University will also make improvements to additional flat-floor and seminar-style classrooms.

According to Feldman, Dean of Arts and Sciences Adam Jaffe and Associate Dean Elaine Wong will ultimately determine which rooms will receive renovations, consistent with available funding.

Feldman also said that Jaffe's plan may include revisiting a number of rooms that were improved in past years but now may need to be redone again to look consistent with the renovation of other classrooms.

Feldman said that possible improvements to these classrooms include carpet or furniture upgrades.

"Classrooms are fundamental to what we do at the University and so are residence halls," Feldman said. "So we're trying to strike a balance between making improvements in both areas.