There are few at this university without passionate opinion on last week's presidential election and the political state of the nation. Every person who cast a vote should be commended for participating in our democracy. However, there are many deserving recognition for their efforts in the election that went above and beyond. Activists for both parties volunteered their time and energy for the duration of the campaign. For many of John Kerry's volunteers, this effort started well before the primaries.

Phone calls, door-to-door visits and street-level campaigning raised awareness, voting numbers and money. Students trekked to New Hampshire to get voters in the swing state. The day of the election, people were driving voters to the polls.

In addition to the already arduous task of being a student juggling commitments of extracurricular activities, employment, family and friends, many amazing Brandeis students devoted time to America's voting process and tried to make a real difference.

To feel ardently about politics and the electoral process is commendable. To practically go take action is impressive and very praiseworthy. As Margaret Mead said, "Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have.