Nearly 1,200 accepted students visited Brandeis last week for the annual open house, according to Director of Enrollment Deena Whitfield. This event coincided with Bronstein week and The Festival of the Arts.Both days began with breakfast and a speech by University President Jehuda Reinharz, who invited visitors to attend classes and tour the campus. There were many other activities and events during the open house on Wednesday and Thursday.

"The party on the lawn and the inflatables on Wednesday were planned by the Student Union," Whitfield said. "Admissions collaborates with student groups, clubs and organizations, but we plan everything else."

Question-and-answer sessions were held, as were specific sessions about pre-health studies, mid-years, multi-cultural issues, theater, campus architecture and financing a Brandeis education.

Devra Barter, a prospective student from Denver, thought Brandeis did an excellent job in coordinating activities, especially in comparison to other colleges.

"The sessions were really good-it was good that they had faculty and students," Barter said. "I went to Emory last weekend and it was not as well-structured."

Robert Marx '06, a community adviser in Massell Quad, found the programs to be exciting, except for a few which seemed less well organized.

"The coffeehouse and Lizzy's were really cool because they gave a glimpse into the aspects of other life on campus," Marx said.

One qualm many hosts had was paying for their pre-froshs' meals. While pre-frosh were instructed to bring money, some students felt it was rude that to ask them to do so.

"It is kind of inconsiderate for the hosts," said Rebecca Reiman '07, who hosted a pre-frosh. "But at the same time, hosts do not have to provide the meals; the pre-frosh were told to bring money."

Amy Fischer of Nashville, Tenn. was accepted early decision to Brandeis and agreed with Barter that the University had planned ahead for the event.

"Everybody that I met has been so nice and friendly," Fischer said. "I think Brandeis did a really good job. Everything is easy to find and everyone has been eager to talk [to me]. I do feel more prepared for next year. I talked to a lot of people about classes, which is more useful than hearing people talk in a forum."

Fischer said she visited Brandeis before, mostly in conjunction with visiting her sister, Elizabeth '05. But this time her hostess was Robyn Goldstein '07.

Both Elizabeth and Goldstein are on the swim team, which Fischer said she plans to join. She said she met other accepted students at a swim team party and exchanged e-mails with some to keep in touch over the summer.

She said she thought staying with a student was better than just visiting with parents, whom she feels would hinder the experience.

"When you are by yourself and stay with a student, you see more," Fischer said. "If you're parents are paying for college, then they have a right to come [with you] though."

Daniel Wolfe, also from Denver, agreed with Fischer's sentiments.

"[My parents would] probably ask more questions, but it's good to be on my own,"

Wolfe said, "I think events were pretty good and well-planned, especially the student panel Thursday. I really enjoyed everything. I had a great time this weekend and I am coming here next year."

Wolfe was not hosted by a first-year or sophomore. Instead, he stayed with a senior in Ziv Quad, something he attributes to the fact that he decided to attend the open house too late.

Many current students regarded the accepted students' open house as the "clincher" for their decision to attend Brandeis.

"When I came to the accepted students weekend last year, it made me really sure I wanted to go to Brandeis," Josh Rosenthal '07 said.

There were other reasons why accepted students said they were considering Brandeis.

Fischer wanted to attend a smaller school in New England.

"I'm coming [to Brandeis] to break away from the bubble in Nashville," Fischer said. "Most everyone has not heard of Brandeis because if you cross the Mason-Dixon Line, you're a weirdo."

Barter, who was accepted into the mid-year class, was attracted by a community she believes will tailor well to her religion.

"I really like the Jewish community here," Barter said. "I like the size, and I like how the people are friendly-that's definitely a plus."

Marx said he hosted potential first-years out of his admiration for the University.

"I hosted because it's a really good way [for the person] to see what student life is like," Marx said.