"Sweetie, you have such good karma, just look at your smiling, happy face." These are the affectionate words of Sylvia Diaz to a customer while Diaz works at the cash register in the Expressway, or C-store. During her six years working the night shift there, Diaz has become a lively and known presence; students describe her as an interesting, friendly and extremely caring person. In between ringing up various products for customers, she took time to talk, gushing about the students who she meets and giving a small glimpse into her life.

Sylvia Diaz
Role at Brandeis: Cashier at C-store
Years at Brandeis: Six

JustFeats: Where are from originally?
Sylvia Diaz: I'm from Havana and I'm here for 45 years. I came here because Castro, the Communist leader, took over and confiscated everything from my family. Now I live in Brighton, and it's about 20 minutes away.

JF: What king of things do you do outside of Brandeis?
SD: My main job is real estate in Brookline. I've been in real estate for 14 years. It's such a stressful job that I love to come here. There's such a positive atmosphere, and I can relax.

JF: What do you do in your free time?
SD: I love being by myself. I'm 71 years old. I practice yoga, meditation, and go to the gym three times a week for three hours. I also paint oil paintings. I go to the yoga center in Kripaluin, Berkshire Mountains twice a year.

JF: Do you ever exhibit your artwork?
SD: No, not now. I do some for myself. I had one [painting] in the Prudential Center exhibition for amateurs. I sold a couple, one was of a flower pot and another one was a landscape. I did it for a couple of years only.

JF: Who is your favorite painter?
SD: I like Rembrandt and in modern art, I like Picasso.

JF: What kind of interaction and relationship do you have with the Brandeis students, and what is your opinion of them?
SD: I talk to them all the time. They tell me about their problems and what they did on their vacations. One student brought me slides from Cuba, and it was nice because I haven't been in Cuba for 45 years. Sometimes I meet some people small, as freshmen, and then I know them for four years until they graduate. I even rented apartments to some of the students.

JF: How many languages do you speak?
SD: I speak Spanish, English, a little bit of Italian, a little bit of Russian, a little bit of French. My boss at the real estate agency where I work is Russian.
JF: What's the most interesting part of your job here?
SD: The positive and fun atmosphere of the students. I love people, and I love to deal with people. I advise these people sometimes, and they tell me their problems. Nintety-nine percent of the students have a good karma.

JF: What do you like to do during the slow times here at the C-store?
SD: I read. Yesterday, I had my yoga book and sometimes I read the paper. It's never really too slow. And when finals come, it's crazy.

JF: Why have you enjoy working in the C-store for so many years?
SD: I've a Peter Pan soul and I don't want to grow old. That's why I enjoy this atmosphere.

JF: Where did you live before you came to Boston?
SD: I lived in Florida, and in New York City for six months, in Italy for six months and then came to Boston.

JF: How much have you traveled and where have you gone?
SD: I travel a lot. I've been to Morocco, Greece and Italy. I wanted to move to Israel, and they were going to give me a visa to stay for six months. I wanted to go to Haifa and sell my paintings. I had a very Bohemian lifestyle back then. But, then my son was killed in a drunk driving accident 15 years ago, and this changed my plans.

JF: What's the most interesting traveling experience that you've had?
SD: The Middle East. I always like mysterious places.

JF: If you could eat one food at the C-store, what would you choose?
SD: The Odwalla juices are the best, very healthy. And, I'm a health nut. I wouldn't touch anything else here-no candy bars.
-Marina Korkmazsky