On the first day of 2018, popular YouTube blogger Logan Paul uploaded a video showing close-up footage of a deceased man in Aokigahara, in Japan. In a Jan. 19 interview with Seventeen Magazine, actor Dylan Minnette revealed that season two of popular Netflix series “13 Reasons Why” will delve deeper into the life of the character whose suicide is the focus of the show. The very next day, Paramount Studios dropped the red band trailer for their TV anthology remake of cult classic film “Heathers,” which features teenagers finding posthumous adoration when their murders are staged as suicides.

These three distinct events seem to mark a troubling trend in modern American media: the conflation of suicide and entertainment. With it comes the risk of suicide contagion in our society.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services defines suicide contagion as the exposure to suicide and suicidal behaviors “within one’s family, one’s peer group or through media reports.” The phenomenon, also known as “copycat suicides,” is typically observed following a high-profile death by suicide. According to a 2003 study published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, there was a 12 percent increase in suicides in the month following the death of Marilyn Monroe.

Although the department’s definition does not include fictional media, a study by Wayne State University and the University of Illinois published in the peer-reviewed journal Sociological Focus in January 2014, found that with every voluntary exposure to movies on the topic of suicide attempts, the risk of attempted suicide increased by nearly 48 percent among respondents. Although the Scientific American is hesitant to draw conclusions between fictional media and suicide contagion, a May 8, 2017 article states, “It is difficult to see how the fictional portrayal of suicide in an explicit manner could have a positive effect in any way,” unless those portrayals also depict the effect of the death on loved ones.

Some would propose “13 Reasons Why” as an example of the latter. However, experts suggest that the show is an example of how not to portray suicide in fictional media. The Department of Health and various mental health organizations, such as the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and ReportingOnSuicide.org, have recommendations on how to appropriately report on a suicide. These guidelines emphasize brevity and facts and warn against sensational or emotionally charged language.  

“Reports of suicide should not be repetitive,” the department says, “as prolonged exposure can increase the likelihood of suicide contagion.” However, there are few things as enduring as a popular TV show. According to an April 21, 2017 article in Time, “13 Reasons Why” was the most tweeted-about show of the year at time of publication, and with impending release of its second season, the show is unlikely to fade from spotlight anytime soon.

The department also warns against suggesting that suicide helped the deceased individual to achieve a personal goal. The reporting guidelines recommend avoiding photos of grieving loved ones, memorials or funerals. “13 Reasons Why” and the original “Heathers” film both feature the lingering impact of the deaths prominently, and in both cases, there is the implication that the attention given to their deaths is what the deceased would have wanted.

One of the most controversial issues of “13 Reasons Why” was the graphic depiction of the character’s death by suicide, which showed near step-by-step detail of the process. The show’s writer Nic Sheff defended his hyper-realistic portrayal in an April 19, 2017 interview with Vanity Fair, citing his own experience with suicidal thoughts and how an honest, gruesome description of a suicide attempt saved his own life.

However, other survivors disagree with him, believing the scene to have done far more harm than good. As survivors put it in a June 15, 2017 Teen Vogue article, the scene was too physically realistic but mentally unrealistic, simultaneously giving viewers a specific method with which to take their own lives and failing to portray the emotional and mental process that precedes an attempt. 

Meanwhile, the department states, “Reports should not divulge detailed descriptions of the method used to avoid possible duplication.” The show “13 Reasons Why,” and others like it,violate every guideline on how to report on suicide. According to an Aug. 13, 2014 post on The Upshot by the New York Times, a study found that complying with these guidelines resulted in a significant reduction in suicide contagion, proving that these are not just arbitrary suggestions.

Although fiction and news reporting are different fields, with the advent of the internet and omnipresence of smart technology, they are similar in reach and influence on the American audience, and they should thus be held to similar standards. Entertainment media, especially, must hold itself to higher standards as shows such as “13 Reasons Why” and the upcoming “Heathers” will also be serving a teenage audience.

According to the AFSP, suicide remains the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, and suicide rates for all ages above 15 have steadily been on the rise since 2005. In light of these facts, it is disappointing that we, in the first month of 2018, already have two upcoming television series which plan to feature themes of suicide front and center. The nature of these shows is, inherently, entertainment, meant to enrapture an audience. As a result, these shows are, inherently, at odds with a respectful, appropriate and beneficial handling of suicidal themes.

It is a new year, with countless new shows and films waiting in the wings. There is no better time for both creators and consumers to re-evaluate how we approach the topic of suicide in our entertainment. 

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-273-8255.