‘The Play that Goes Wrong’

By Sabrina Sung

A theater student’s nightmare but a theatergoer’s delight — join the Cornley Polytechnic Drama Society in their disastrous production of “The Murder at Haversham Manor,” a whodunit set in the 1920s in which the biggest mystery is how you didn’t die laughing in your seat.

Since its Broadway debut in just April of this year, “The Play that Goes Wrong” has captivated American audiences with the power of schadenfreude and pure unadulterated fun. Watch actors fumble through a series of mishaps — missed cues, misplaced props, mishandled people and more — as they struggle to salvage their chaotic performance. The play’s set is a veritable character in its own right, as charmingly inept as the rest of the cast, and received the 2017 Tony Award for Best Scenic Design.

“The Play that Goes Wrong” is winner of the 2015 Olivier Award, Broadway’s 2017 Audience’s Choice for Favorite New Play and a production to remember. Jetlagged? Sleep-deprived? Go watch a play go wrong.

‘Dear Evan Hansen’

By Lizzie Grossman

If you watched the Tony’s, you probably noticed a musical that won a significant number of awards — six, to be exact. “Dear Evan Hansen,” written by Steven Levenson with music and lyrics by Benji Pasek and Justin Paul, premiered in the Music Box theater on Broadway last December and has won over the hearts of its audiences ever since. 

The plot is so complex and unique in a way you can only experience and understand by watching it yourself. In simpler terms, it is about a boy named Evan Hansen, portrayed by Ben Platt,  who struggles with social anxiety and gets caught up in a lie that temporarily turns him into a hero. The compelling story, raw emotion of the entire cast and captivating music all make for an unforgettable musical that was more than deserving of every Tony award it earned. Although you have probably already heard it several times, I am going to say it again — go see it when you get the chance; it is a work of art that had me in tears by the end.

‘Chicago’

By Yvette Sei 

Every Broadway musical is incredible in one way or another. “Cinderella’s” costume changes left me breathless, “Phantom of the Opera’s” vocals left me speechless, while the dancing in “Newsies” left my feet tapping. The plot of “Les Miserables’” emotionally destroyed me, “Book of Mormon” cheered me up and the ingenuity of “Hamilton” left me in absolute awe. So when it comes to picking a favorite show, I couldn’t be more reluctant to choose. 

At the end of the day however, one show keeps circling back into consideration: “Chicago.” When all’s said and done, “Chicago” is the ultimate Broadway show, and as the second longest running musical of all time, clearly many agree. With a complex and emotionally enrapturing plot, balanced by fun, flare and excess, not to mention a plethora of iconic song and dance numbers, “Chicago” has the perfect combination to flourish on stage. It really does have all that jazz.