The women’s basketball squad had a tough weekend, dropping both of its two games and extending their losing streak to three games in a row. The women fell 74-56 against Carnegie Mellon University on Friday and 71-68 versus Case Western Reserve University on Sunday. 

Judges 68, Case 71

The Judges fought well against their conference foes but were unable to come away with a win. The team kept the score near even through the first half, going down 30-29 at the half. With a total of 39 points in the second half, the Judges teetered on the edge of victory after a nail-biting fourth quarter. Case was able to stave off the the Judges, winning by three points in regulation. 

The Judges were neck-and-neck with Case going into the fourth, with their largest deficit of the quarter at seven points. 

After Case split a pair of free throws, forward Maria Jackson ’17 swooped in for a clean layup to cut the Case lead to one. With 12 seconds on the clock, guard Frankie Pinto ’17 swiped Case for a desperation foul and a chance for two. Case hit both to widen their lead to three with 12 seconds to go after a Judges timeout. 

With time winding down, guard Paris Hodges ’17 heaved a 3-point from downtown but missed the potential game-winning shot, giving Case the victory.

Jackson, once again, led the squad with 17 points and five rebounds, delivering a powerful performance in yet another loss. Hodges also contributed with a double-double of her own, posting 11 points and a matching 11 rebounds in the game. The two combined for 12-of-27 shooting, nearly matching the Judges’ overall shooting percentage. 

The squad’s offensives struggles were wiped away this game, shooting for over 40 percent from the field, though only 23.1 percent from beyond the arc. Four of the five starters for the Judges had double-digits in the points column, with forward Sydney Sodine ’17 and guard Noel Hodges ’18 pouring in 12 and 10, respectively. 

The team crashed the boards 48 times to own the paint, out rebounding Case by 12 down low. 

The Judges fell to .500 on the season with an 11-11 record and a 3-8 University Athletic Association conference record. 

Judges 56, Carnegie 74

The Judges came into the game with solid momentum, defeating the University of Rochester in their previous matchup and snapping a four-game losing skid. However, the momentum did not hold with the Judges surrendering 74 points off 50 percent shooting. 

The squad was outscored in the first three quarters by six, seven and seven points, respectively, only to make a small comeback in the final quarter that was not enough.

Jackson came into the game fresh off a UAA Athlete of the Week award. During the stretch, she powered the team to a 1-1 record, posting a double-double in each of the two matchups.

Jackson continued her dominance,  leading the squad with 19 points and six rebounds.

Her 8-of-13 shooting, however, was not enough to bolster the Judges’ meager 30.3 percent shooting from the floor. 

Statistically speaking, the Judges outmatched Rochester in nearly every category but shooting. 

With the loss, the Judges fell to 11-10 overall and 3-7 in UAA play and will now look to get out of this slump.