The women’s volleyball team struggled at the University Athletic Association Championship in St. Louis this past weekend, losing all three matches to end its season.

The No. 8-seeded Judges were shut out 3-0 in their quarterfinal match against the top-seeded University of Chicago to open the tournament. They were then shut out once again in the consolation semifinal match 3-0 against the University of Rochester. In their final match of the season, the Judges lost 3-2 against New York University.

Judges 2, NYU 3

Brandeis played their hearts out against NYU in their final match of the season but came up just short 3-2 by scores of 23-25, 27-25, 13-25, 25-20 and 10-15.  While this loss ended the Judges’ season, the squad played incredibly well. They showed noticeable improvements over last season by finishing with a 7-21 record; they picked up two more wins in four fewer games played than last year.  Middle hitter Emma Bartlett ’20 led the way offensively for the Judges, as she has all season, with 17 kills. This match brought her season total up to 196, as the first-year standout finished second on the team in kills. Outside hitter Shea Decker-Jacoby ’19, the season leader in kills for the Judges with 207, had an extremely impressive double-double with 11 kills, 14 digs and an outstanding five service aces. Right side hitter Zara Platt ’19 also added 11 kills for the match, and Platt, middle hitter Kirsten Frauens ’19 and middle hitter Jessica Kaufman ’17 combined for eight block assists. Back in the lineup after being sidelined with injury, setter Leah Pearlman ’19 made her presence known with 20 assists, and fellow setter Marlee Nork ’19 registered 21 assists of her own and a service ace. Defensively, libero Yvette Cho ’19 led the match with 24 digs.

Judges 0, Rochester 3

The day before, Brandeis kept every set close against a Rochester team that had 22 wins on the season coming into the match but were ultimately shut out 3-0 by scores of 23-25, 21-25 and 19-25.

Decker-Jacoby led the way on offense for the Judges with eight kills, while Cho led the team with 13 digs and two service aces. Despite the tough loss, the Judges played an extremely competitive game against a very tough team and put their moxie on display. 

Judges 0, Chicago 3

Earlier that day, Brandeis opened the tournament with a 3-0 shutout loss to Chicago by scores of 14-25, 14-25 and 16-25. Chicago held the top seed in the tournament, and the Judges were simply overpowered by the dominant squad.

Decker-Jacoby was once again a leader for the Judges with nine kills, nine digs and two service aces. Cho led the team defensively with 13 digs, while Platt and Frauens each registered two block assists. Nork and Pearlman combined for 22 assists for the match.

It was not an easy season for the Judges, who ended the year on a 12-game losing streak and finished in eighth place in the conference, but there is a lot to be excited about. This squad has a lot of young talent that has now gotten its feet wet in college-level play and has a lot to look forward to in the years to come. Fans can look for the Judges to bounce back with a vengeance next regular season as the team hopes to rise up to its immense potential.