The women’s soccer team barely kept its undefeated season alive this week, on the road, by defeating Babson College 1-0 on Tuesday and recording a close draw against rival school Tufts University on Saturday evening.

Judges 1, Tufts 1 

Saturday’s contest against the Jumbos of Tufts was another highly competitive affair in a long-standing regional rivalry. The No. 9 Judges moved to 8-0-1 with the road tie. 

The squad got on the board first with an impressive goal in the 11th minute. Defender Jessica Morana ’17 recorded the score after Tufts sophomore goalkeeper Emily Bowers proceeded to drop a saved shot into Morana’s lap. The goal was the third of the regular season for Morana.

Neither team was able to do much on the offensive end for the rest of the first half. 

Tufts senior forward Jess Capone was the one to net the equalizing goal. In the 55th minute, Capone was able to take the rebound off a deflected shot that goalkeeper Alexis Grossman ’17 was unable to scoop up. Capone took it cleanly and slid it into the back of the net for what was only the second goal Grossman has let in this entire regular season. 

The contest would remain scoreless throughout the entire course of regulation and two subsequent overtime periods. On the game as a whole, the Judges outshot the Jumbos 18-11, with the squad particularly dominating in the first half with 12-2 shots. Grossman was only forced to record two saves during the entire game. 

The two Boston-area schools have had a recent history of close contests. Last season, the Judges were able to narrowly edge out a 1-0 victory at home in September against Tufts. 

Judges 1, Babson 0

Tuesday’s game featured another hard-fought competition between two evenly matched opponents. While neither team scored during regulation, the Judges were not without opportunities. During the 29th minute of the first half, forward Lea McDaniel ’17 narrowly just missed a goal off  a corner kick. McDaniel also had a promising opportunity for the score in the 63rd minute, when she missed left of the post. 

The goal for the squad finally arrived almost six minutes into the overtime period. It all began when, off a corner kick, Morana attempted a shot just outside of the six-yard box. The attempt was deflected, but the Judges retained possession. The ball found its way back to Morana who headed over to forward Cidney Moscovitch ’17, who pushed it past the defense for the game-winning goal. The dramatic score was Moscovitch’s third goal of the young season. 

For her collegiate career, it was the 13th goal in an impressive three and a half seasons. Even more remarkable is that nine of those 13 were the game winners. 

Overall for the game, Brandeis outshot Tufts 11 to 6 and attempted six corner kicks, compared to the Jumbos’ one. The win for the Judges edged them to a solid record of 21-17-3 all time against the competitors from Babson. 

The defeat for Babson broke their record of a home-unbeaten streak of 13 games. The game was also an accomplishment for Grossman, who recorded her 25th collegiate victory, which lands her fifth on the career list. 

While the undefeated season continues for the Judges, so too does another impressive streak: The team has not fallen in an incredible 32 games in a row against squads from the New England region. It has won 30 games, while recording two ties, since dropping the opener of the 2014 campaign. 

The Judges will next be in action today on the road against Wellesley College at 4 p.m. They will continue their week away from home when they travel to Pittsburgh to compete against Carnegie Mellon University on Saturday morning. 

The Judges’ were outplayed by Wellesley in their 2015 matchup, tying the team in a double-overtime effort. The tie put an end to the Judges win streak, snapping it at a healthy nine games. 

The Judges also fell to Carnegie Mellon 2-0 in their only matchup in the 2015 to 2016 campaign. The loss ended the Judges’ perfect  season, marking their first  game in which they allowed more than one goal. 

The Judges will need to continue their incredible pace to counter Carngie Mellon’s tough offense. 

Their season looks bright ahead but could be marred by an untimely loss against either team.