The Brandeis men’s baseball team had a rough go of it this past weekend, dropping all four of its games against Tufts University and Bowdoin College. The squad has struggled to win games all season, and this weekend proved no different. The Judges fell in their two doubleheaders, resulting in an 0-4 performance, with one game against Eastern Connecticut State University being postponed until later notice. 

Bowdoin 10, Judges 5

Despite jumping out to a big lead early on, the Judges were unable to hold off Bowdoin in their second game of a doubleheader on Sunday afternoon. After scoring a quick four runs in the first inning, the Judges gave up three runs to Bowdoin in the bottom of the second, followed by a four-run third inning that blew the game wide open. Bowdoin, led by junior shortstop Sean Mullaney and junior third baseman Evan Dumont-LaPointe, never looked back, tacking on three more runs in the sixth that put the game far out of reach for the Judges. 

Mullaney and Dumont-LaPointe led the Polar Bears’ balanced offensive attack, combining for six of Bowdoin’s 10 RBIs. The Judges were led by catcher Connor Doyle ’16, who finished the game with three RBIs. Despite Doyle’s best efforts, the Judges were unable to muster up enough runs to keep the Bowdoin offense at bay. 

The loss drops the Judges to 8-14-1, while the victory brings Bowdoin to 12-7 on the season. 

Bowdoin 2, Judges 1

In their first game of Sunday play, the Judges fell in a close matchup to the Polar Bears. In what turned into a pitchers’ duel, the Judges were unable to hold onto a late one run lead, giving up the go-ahead run in the bottom of the sixth inning. 

Despite only giving up two hits and one earned run, starting pitcher Liam Coughlin ’17 took the loss for the Judges. In his loss, Coughlin threw a complete-game two-hitter, but the Judges failed to give him the run support he needed to capitalize on his strong outing on the mound. Bowdoin sophomore Richard Arms carried the Polar Bears through five innings, giving up just one run on five total hits. Sophomore Kyle Stanley ended up notching the victory for the Polar Bears, pitching two shutout innings to solidify the squad’s victory over Brandeis.  

The loss dropped the Judges to 8-13-1 on the season, while the victory brought the Polar Bears to 11-7 in regular season play. 

Tufts 5, Judges 4

In their second game of a Saturday doubleheader against Tufts University, the Judges’ late rally fell short, resulting in bitter defeat at the hands of the Jumbos. After Tufts jumped out to a quick three-run lead in the bottom of the first inning, the squad piled on two more runs in the fourth to keep Brandeis at bay. The Judges found some life in the top of the fifth, rallying to score four quick runs, but they nevertheless could not dig themselves out of the steep hole they found themselves in after their slow start. 

Tufts senior shortstop Matt Moser led the way for the Jumbos, finishing the game with two doubles and two RBIs. Sophomore infielder Tommy O’Hara added two RBIs of his own for Tufts. Starting pitcher Sam Miller ’16 took the loss for the Judges, giving up five runs on a whopping nine hits, dropping his season mark to 2-4. 

The loss dropped the Judges to 8-12-1 on the season, while the Jumbos’ victory brought the squad to 11-3 record. 

Tufts 10, Judges 2

In their first game of weekend play, the Judges showed few signs of life against the Tufts University Jumbos, suffering an embarrassing eight-run loss. The game was relatively uneventful until the bottom of the fifth inning, when Tufts generated three runs. The Jumbos followed up in the sixth with a whopping six runs, putting the game well out of reach for the Judges and sealing a win. 

The Jumbos were led by Moser and O’Hara, who combined for five of Tufts’ ten runs. While their strong offensive output helped the squad cruise to victory, it was starting pitcher, junior Tim Superko who stole the show. Superko gave up just four hits and two runs to 26 batters faced on the afternoon, notching his second victory of theregular season. 

The loss dropped the Judges to 8-11-1 on the year, while Tufts’ victory brought the team to 10-3 in regular-season play. 

The squad will return to action on Thursday when they host Daniel Webster College.