*Corrections appended

The Brandeis fencing teams flew to North Carolina this weekend for the Duke Invitational. At the tournament, the squads faced some of their toughest competition of the season. The men’s team went winless against No. 9 Duke University, University of North Carolina, No. 4 Pennsylvania State University, No. 3 University of Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins University, while the women fell to Duke, North Carolina, No. 2 Notre Dame, No. 9 Penn State and No. 10 Temple University. However, there were some promising moments during the weekend for both squads, despite facing their toughest challenges yet.

The men’s team got two squad wins on the day. The foilists battled to a 6-3 win against the North Carolina Tar Heels while the sabreists defeated Johns Hopkins by a score of 5-4. Foilist Guillermo Narvaez ’18 went 3-0 against North Carolina and foilist Elishua Litle ’18 went 2-1 in the win. The sabreists beat JHU by committee as Kyle Berney ‘18 went 2-1 and Curtis Wilson ’18, Eric Shen ’16 and Yaotian Zhang ’19 each contributed an individual win for the 5-4 mark. Litle had a win in all five matchups on the day, with his six wins matching Berney’s for most wins on the day for the team. Narvaez added five more wins for the foilists while Tom Hearne ’16 led the epeeists with four wins.

The women’s foil team defeated Duke and Penn State by identical 5-4 scores and nearly replicated the feat against Temple, falling 4-5. The sabreists also defeated Duke, but the epeeists were unable to hold off the Blue Devils for the team win. Foillist Joanna Carminucci ’19 had a particularly impressive day for the Judges, fencing her way to a 10-5 mark in the foil event, including sweeps of both Penn State and Duke and a 2-1 mark against North Carolina. She also managed to score a win in all five of her matchups during the day. Caroline Mattos ’16 went 6-6 on the day for the foilists, with 2-1 records against Penn State, Temple and Duke. Sabreist Ashley Jean ’17 and epeeist Gwen Mowell ’16 added five wins each for the epee squad.

The Judges hope to bounce back on Wednesday at the annual Beanpot Tournament, hosted this year at Harvard University. There they will face their Boston area compatriots from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston College and host Harvard.

*An earlier version of this article wrongly stated that Joanna Carminucci ’19 was a sabreist and Ashley Jean ’17 was an epeeist.