The women’s basketball team could not hand conference-rival New York University their first loss of the season despite hanging with the Violets for a large stretch of the game, falling 57-46 on Saturday. The loss snapped a three-game winning streak for the Judges, after the team took victories in all three contests that were played over the break. The squad moves to 7-5 on the season overall and opens the year 0-1 in University Athletic Association play.

Judges 46 NYU 57

The Judges dropped a conference game to the host Violets on Saturday despite double-digit efforts from guard Frankie Pinto ’17 and guard Heather Cain ’16. Pinto netted 11 points in 16 minutes for the visitors, going 4-for-7 from the field and 3-for-4 from beyond the arc. Cain chipped in with 10 points in 23 minutes played and added a pair of rebounds, an assist and two steals in the losing effort.

NYU controlled the game from the opening tipoff and used a 12-0 run to dominate play in the first quarter of the game, punctuated by six points from NYU sophomore guard Kaitlyn Read. Pinto controlled the second quarter for the Judges, adding eight of her 11 points in the quarter and helping the Judges match the Violets stride for stride as the two sides both finished the quarter with 13 points, two assists and a block.

The Judges used a balanced attack to net 15 third-quarter points as six different Judges registered a basket. Forward Sydney Sodine ’17 paced the Judges with four points, a steal and an offensive rebound in the quarter, while center Maria Jackson ’16 added three points and a pair of rebounds. However, the Judges were unable to contain the Violets’ offense, as the hosts matched Brandeis step for step and added 17 points of their own in the quarter to maintain the early advantage.

NYU put the game away with a decisive run early in the fourth quarter as they opened the quarter on a 7-0 run to push their lead to 49-34 and never let the Judges get close from there. The Judges finished the day shooting 35.4 percent from the field and 30.8 percent from three-point range.

Judges 48 UMass Boston 44

Earlier in the break, the Judges topped the University of Massachusetts Boston in a close contest on Jan. 5. The Judges put two players in double figures as guard Niki Laskaris ’16 netted 10 points and Jackson contributed a double-double with 13 points and 15 rebounds in the win. UMass Boston jumped out to an 11-8 lead in the first quarter but the Judges responded with a 13-point second half to tie the game going into the break. The Judges dominated the fourth quarter, scoring 13 points and limiting UMass Boston to just seven to seal the victory.

Cain added five points, five rebounds and three assists in the victory, while guard Paris Hodges ’17 netted seven points in 31 minutes for the Judges.

Judges 71 Endicott 59

All 10 players who saw game time netted at least three points for the hosts as they rolled over visiting Endicott College on Jan. 2. Jackson contributed eight points and 15 rebounds in a game-high 39 minutes, while Hodges netted 11 points and pulled down six rebounds in the comfortable victory. Forward Kyla Gabriel ’17 notched seven points, four steals, a pair of assists and three rebounds in 28 minutes off the bench while Cain chipped in with nine points and seven rebounds in 22 minutes.

Judges 60 Husson 52

Brandeis opened the break with an eight-point win over Husson College, paced by 12 points from Sodine and 11 from both Pinto and Cain. Laskaris netted seven points for the Judges and pulled down three rebounds while Hodges added eight points and four assists for the hosts. The Judges converted 12-of-16 free throws in the victory as well, using a 20-9 advantage in the first quarter to pull away from Husson.

The Judges return to action this weekend when they look to get back on track versus a pair of UAA opponents. Brandeis hosts the University of Rochester on Friday at 6 p.m. and welcomes Emory University on Sunday, beginning at 1 p.m.