On Sunday, the No. 8 women’s soccer team drew 1-1 with the the Yellowjackets of the University of Rochester in Rochester, New York, while on Friday they also tied against Emory University. 

The Judges now sit at 13-2-3 overall and 2-2-2 in University Athletic Association play.

Judges 1,  Rochester 1

The squads came out firing in the first half as they traded dangerous scoring opportunities. Midfielder Holly Szafran ’16 nearly gave the Judges an early lead, but Rochester sophomore goalkeeper Madilynne Lee punched the ball to safety. In the 37th minute, the Judges opened up the scoring when forward Melissa Darling ’16 split two Rochester defenders before ripping a shot from 14 yards out into the net’s bottom right corner. 

Darling’s second goal of the season and seventh in her career came after she received a through ball from forward Haliana Burhans ’18. The half ended with the Judges leading the shot count 5-3.

The Yellowjackets came out attacking in the second half. 

11 minutes into the half, sophomore forward Laura Cowie-Haskell sent a corner to Katie Grasso, who headed it to freshman forward Christina Feller. 

Goalkeeper Alexis Grossman ’18 saved Feller’s shot but lost control of the ball, and Rochester’s sophomore forward Paige Gloster slammed in the rebound, tying the game at one apiece. 

Overtime came and went without many opportunities. 

The Judges put the only shot on target and gained the only corner kick, but the chances did not amount to a serious strike on net. 

The Judges had more opportunities throughout the game, leading in shots 12-9, and 6-3 in terms of shots on goal. 

Rochester had four corner kicks compared to the two corner kicks for the Judges. 

The game was a physical affair, with 30 total fouls, 12 of which were called on the Judges. 

Judges 0, Emory 0

Earlier in the week, the Judges traveled to Atlanta, Georgia and battled the Eagles of Emory University to a 0-0 draw. 

Emory had the better first half as they led in shots 6-2. Both teams, however, put two shots on net. Early on, midfielder Alec Spivack ’15 and midfielder Allyson Parziale ’16 put shots on target, but Emory senior goalkeeper Liz Arnold saved both shots on goal. 

The half was dictated by Emory. While there were not many tough attempts, the Eagles constantly applied pressure on the Judges’ backline, which received crucial support from the midfield that was frequently tracking back deep into the defensive third.   

In the second half, the game belonged to the Judges. The Judges attacked throughout the half, outshooting Emory 7-4. Shots from Szafran were unsuccessful, as Arnold made a key diving stop in the 70th minute of the contest. 

The game headed into overtime, but it was a rather uneventful affair for the two squads. 

In the first period of overtime, the Judges put two shots on net, but neither required the defense to react nor the goalkeeper to make a save. 

In the second period of overtime, Emory put one shot on net, but it was not a terribly threatening attempt on goal. 

The draw in the UAA match can largely be attributed to the continued stellar play of Grossman, who made four saves in her ninth shutout of the season. 

The match was not a very physical one — there were 19 total fouls, with the Judges only being called for seven of them. 

Looking ahead, the Judges have six days off to prepare for UAA competition, this time against the Bobcats of New York University. 

The Judges battle the Bobcats at Gordon Field at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 7 before awaiting a possible berth back to the NCAA Division III Tournament to close out the season on a high note.