The men’s soccer team advanced to the Sweet 16 of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division III Tournament on Sunday, improving to 18-2-1 on the season. 

With the victories, the squad advanced to the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament for the fourth consecutive year.

The squad defeated Rensselear Polytechnic Institute 2-1 in double overtime on Sunday after squeaking out another 2-1 victory over Thomas College on Saturday.  

No. 3 Judges 2, RPI 1 (2 OT)

Midfielder Patrick Flahive ’18 started the game strong by heading the ball home off of a free kick by midfielder Josh Ocel ’17 in the 8th minute. The goal was Flahive’s fourth of the year and the second contest in a row in which he scored. For Ocel, the assist was his tenth of the year — the 15th player in school history who has reached the mark — which is good enough for the team lead. 

For most of the rest of regulation the Judges were able to control the ball without much of a counter-attack from RPI. 

It lasted all the way until the final minute of the contest when RPI was able to tie up the game at one apiece. 

Goalkeeper Ben Woodhouse ’18 came out of the goal to attempt to punch away the ball, but it was directed at RPI junior midfielder Andrew Gondek who took a shot on goal. The ball was redirected by the Judges’ defense, but senior defender Paul Lentine was able to slam the rebound back in the goal and send the game to an overtime period. 

The first overtime passed without much excitement, and the score remained deadlocked at one. In the second overtime, Ocel took a free kick from the left side, where forward Evan Jastremski ’17 collected the ball and took a shot at the goalkeeper. Though the shot was saved, Jastremski took the rebound and was resilient enough to put it in for his third goal of the year. All three of Jastremski’s goals this season have been game-winners. 

The goal was a slight redemption for Jastremski as well, as he nearly doubled the Judges' lead late in the first half. In the 28th minute, shortly after first entering the game as a substitution, Jastremski was sent on net by a good through ball from defender Conor Lanahan '16 but could not convert a one-on-one chance with the keeper. The Judges outshot RPI 23-9 for the contest, while Woodhouse only had to make one save.  

No. 3 Judges 2, Thomas 1

The team found themselves down early in a game for one of the first times all season. Sophomore midfielder Willie Clemons was able to track down a through ball and put it past Woodhouse to give the Terriers the 1-0 lead in the 14th minute. 

The Judges were able to compose themselves and responded in the 24th minute when midfielder Josh Handler ’19 sent a cross from the right side that found the head of Flahive. Flahive was able to find the back of the net for another important first half goal. 

The team controlled the rest of the game but could not add another goal until late. 

It was not without its opportunities as they out-shot Thomas 33-5 and recorded 15 corner kicks as opposed to Thomas’s three. 

With a one-man advantage, as Clemons was given a red card in the 32nd minute, Lanahan  sent a free kick with under a minute left up to Ocel. The midfielder was able to rocket the ball from 35 yards out past the Thomas goalkeeper to give the Judges the lead with just 42 seconds left in regulation. 

The contest marked only the second time that the squad had come from behind for a victory on the season. 

The Judges will have to regain their focus after two exciting games that showcased late winning goals, in addition to wild celebrations between the players and the large crowd in attendance at Gordon Field. 

The team will continue with its impressive season on the line against Trinity University during the weekend. Trinity defeated the Judges 2-0 when they squared off at Trinity on Sep. 5. 

The game is scheduled to take place this Saturday at Amherst College, with a time to be announced tomorrow afternoon.