The University has seen over a five percent increase in applications for the upcoming 2015-2016 academic year, according to Dean of Admissions Jennifer Walker.

Walker wrote in an email to the Justice that this increase creates another “record-breaking year for [the University]” in terms of the number of applications.

According to a Sept. 21 Justice article, the University also saw a five percent increase in applicants last year, in comparison to the previous year’s applicant pool.

Walker wrote that the University anticipates “maintaining about the same or a just slightly lower percentage of admitted students to the class,” although they are seeking a slightly smaller class than last year.

According to Walker, international students make up 12 percent of the accepted students pool and approximately 8 percent of the entire applicant pool that applied using the test-optional policy. Walker wrote that a “comparable number of test-optional students make up our admitted students pool.”

The Class of 2018 saw a dramatic increase in the percentage of international students, with 24 percent of the 859 total first-years being international students, according to an Oct. 28 Justice article. In previous years, according to the article, the number of international students has stayed below 20 percent.

Walker wrote that both the applicant pool and admitted students’ pool saw an increase in students from “underrepresented backgrounds” and from more “diverse geographic regions” in the U.S.

Walker noted, however, that the “admissions numbers are still evolving” and that these numbers are not representative of what the Class of 2019 will look like.

This is due to several application programs with later deadlines and the number of accepted students who will actually enroll.

She also noted that the University “won’t make a decision on [the] use of [the] wait list before May.” According to a Sept. 21 Justice article, the Class of 2018 was filled by the May 1 deadline and no students were drawn off the waitlist, the first time that had occurred since the fall 2000 entering class.