The men and women’s tennis teams each split weekend matchups against regional opponents, with the men cruising to a 6-0 victory on Friday before falling 5-2 on Saturday while the women dropped a 7-2 decision on Friday and secured a 5-4 win on Saturday.

The women, ranked 28th overall in Division III, worked out a close 5-4 victory over No. 40 Bates College on Saturday, just one day after falling to No. 19 Tufts University. The squad moves to 2-7 overall on the year with these results.

The No. 35 men topped Wheaton College (Mass.) 6-0 on Friday but fell to No. 26 Bates by a 5-2 final on Saturday afternoon, bringing their season record to 4-7 on the year.

JUDGES 5, No. 40 BATES 4

The women grabbed two of the three doubles matches in Sunday’s win, backed by an 8-5 victory on the No. 1 court from Haley Cohen ’18 and Carley Cooke ’15. Cooke began singles play strongly for the Judges on the No. 1 court, sweeping her Bates counterpart 6-3, 6-1. Though the Judges dropped three decisions in singles play to even the score at 4-4, Danielle Sims ’18 battled to a match-clinching win on the No. 6 court by a score of 6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-4. 

JUDGES 2, NO. 19 TUFTS 7

On Friday, the squad got a pair of victories from Cooke but managed little else in a 7-2 loss at Tufts. The Judges started the afternoon strong with a 9-7 victory on the No. 1 doubles court, courtesy of Cohen and Cooke, but dropped 8-4 and 8-5 decisions on the other two doubles courts. Cooke earned a straight-set victory on the No. 1 singles court, 7-6 (2), 6-3. The Judges dropped a pair of three-set defeats on the No. 4 and No. 5 courts.

JUDGES 2, NO. 26 BATES 5

The men got a doubles victory from the pairing of Michael Arguello ’17 and Jeff Cherkin ’17 on the No. 2 doubles court, defeating their Bates counterparts 8-4. 

Arguello picked up a 6-4, 6-1 victory on the No. 2 singles court, as well, but was the only member of the Brandeis squad to win on any of the singles courts. 

JUDGES 6, WHEATON 0

The squad welcomed Wheaton on Friday afternoon and dispatched the visiting Lyons in less than three hours in a 6-0 victory. The Judges defeated Wheaton 24-4 in doubles play overall. Bunis was happy with the way the team played. 

“When we are all locked in and playing our best tennis, I believe we can beat any of these nationally ranked teams ... I think the pieces are finally coming together for us and hopefully we can get a big win before going to UAAs” he said. Brian Granoff ’17, Arguello and Bunis swept the first, second and third singles courts respectively to clinch the match, led by Granoff’s 6-4, 6-0 win on the No. 1 court. Granoff was tied at four in the first set and went on an 8-0 run to clinch his match over Wheaton senior David Gassen. Arguello put the finishing touches on the day for the Judges, earning a 6-1, 6-4 victory on the No. 2 court.The men return to action tomorrow when they welcome No. 23 Tufts to the Gosman Sports and Convocation Center before traveling for a match  against No. 8 Bowdoin College on Saturday afternoon. 

The women play in back-to-back matches on Friday and Saturday, squaring off against No. 27 Wellesley College on Friday, followed by a date with No. 4 Amherst College on Saturday afternoon.