The women’s basketball team hosted two University Athletic Conference games this past weekend, enduring mixed results. The Judges lost to Rochester University 62-61 on Sunday afternoon and beat Emory University 68-56 Friday evening. With the loss on Sunday, the team fell to 10-8 overall and 2-5 in UAA play.

Rochester 62 Judges 61

On Sunday, the Judges found themselves facing off against an evenly matched Rochester opponent. Brandeis led 28-27 at the end of the first half behind eight points each from guards Hannah Cain ’15 and Paris Hodges ’17. 

“I think we all played with so much heart, and we put up a good fight,” said guard Noel Hodges ’18, who contributed two rebounds, two steals, an assist and two points in 15 minutes of play. “Coach [Simon] stresses the little things like scoring opportunities and defensive stops.”

The Judges were aggressive to start the game, shooting 10 free throws in the first half compared to just two free throws for Rochester. Brandeis continued its aggressive approach in the second half, shooting an additional 13 free throws compared to just eight for Rochester. Rochester changed its defensive scheme to a 2-3 zone early in the second half, though, which seemed to affect the entire Brandeis offense.

Guard Niki Laskaris ’15—who was limited in the first half due to foul trouble—seemed undeterred by the defensive switch, scoring 14 of her 17 points in the second half. 

Though the game remained close throughout, the Yellowjackets appeared to be pulling away when they went on a 9-0 run to take a 61-55 lead with 2:56 remaining in the game. Laskaris brought Brandeis back to a tie, though, scoring two three-pointers. With 24 seconds remaining, Rochester freshman forward Alexandra Leslie went to the foul line, making one of two to give the Yellowjackets a one-point advantage. 

The Judges then had an opportunity to take the lead, but forward Maria Jackson’s ’17 shot fell short as the Judges lost a nailbiter. 

Judges 68 Emory 56

Friday’s game against Emory saw a balanced attack from the Judges offensively. Eight different players scored for Brandeis, and six players scored at least eight points. Center Olivia Shaw ’18 led the way for the team, scoring 16 points off the bench to go along with seven rebounds and one assist. 

Though Brandeis took an early 20-12 lead—thanks in large part to Shaw’s scoring—a 9-2 Emory run cut the lead to one point. Brandeis responded to the Emory run with its own run, however, and went on to outscore the Eagles 14-3 to take a 36-24 lead into halftime. The Judges outrebounded the Eagles 22-14 in the second half and went to the line 16 times, as opposed to just eight trips for the Eagles.

Hodges was quick to point out that the Judges have an opportunity to prove to that they are the better team this weekend.

“The team has amazing drive; we come back hungry after every win and every loss,” she said. “Keeping that spirit up, the ‘fire’ as coach calls it, will help us moving forward.”

Brandeis travels to take on Emory again this Friday at 6 p.m. before taking on Rochester on Sunday afternoon, beginning at 2 p.m.