According to Vice President for Operations James Gray, the University will soon begin the process of hiring a new sustainability program manager to lead efforts to reduce the University’s energy consumption and waste expenses, as well as to improve other dimensions of campus sustainability. This board commends Gray’s efforts in leading the hiring process for a Brandeis position that will organize crucial sustainability initiatives.

The University cannot afford to carry on without a staff member whose responsibility is increasing sustainability on campus. Several concerns related to energy efficiency and environmental protection on campus have surfaced, most notably regarding the amount of electricity used by the “Light Of Reason” sculpture, whose 48 bulbs are lit throughout the entire night. Having an efficiency expert on the University staff will ensure that this art piece is environmentally responsible, and that the University at large conducts its affairs in the most responsible way possible.

We are impressed by the proactive steps Gray has taken bringing on a new hire when he himself was hired by the University less than a semester ago. Until this summer, the University employed former Sustainability Coordinator Lea Lupkin through a consulting firm, but bringing a sustainability expert on to the University staff demonstrates our commitment to environmental efficiency. 

Many sustainability initiatives are currently in place or in the process of being implemented, such as dual flush toilets that reduce water waste, renovations of heating and cooling systems, various Brandeis sustainability fund projects that are proposed yearly and Brandeis’ ambitious carbon neutrality goal by 2050. There is thus a need for someone to ensure the University implements these solutions swiftly and efficiently,and continues to search for more methods to improve University efficiency. We hope the hiring process for this new position is conducted speedily and again commend Gray and the Campus Operation team’s initiative in pursuing this new staff role at the University.