Everyone loves free things. In today’s digital world, almost everything can be downloaded for free, legally or not. Sometimes, however, iTunes and other platforms offer legally free downloads to their customers.

Irish rockers U2 surprised everyone this week with their new, free album, Songs of Innoncence, available on iTunes. At the launch of Apple’s latest iPhone and the new iWatch device on Tuesday, the band revealed the news by performing the album’s first track: “The Miracle (of Joey Ramone).” You might already have the album in your “purchased” list on iTunes, since anyone who signs onto the iTunes store within the next month will automatically receive it. If you haven’t, you can manually download it from the store, free through Oct. 13.

iTunes typically offers two free “Singles of the Week” one in English and one in Spanish. There are also free episodes of TV shows, movie extras and music videos, but since my obsession is music, the singles are my favorite freebies.

If you, like me, enjoy being able to say you knew a certain song or artist before they were big radio hits, checking the Free on iTunes page every Tuesday can help. Countless tracks that ended up on the Top 40 in the past few years were originally offered as free singles. From Owl City’s “Fireflies” to “Bulletproof” by La Roux to “Clarity” by electronic DJ Zedd featuring Foxes, iTunes free singles vary in genre but have proven to be mega-hits.

Sometimes, the songs released are not the ones that rocket the artists to fame but help expose already popular artists’ other music to fans. Alt-rock band Imagine Dragons had its song “Amsterdam” featured just when “It’s Time” was starting to get airplay. The indie trio of sisters Haim had a surprise hit last year with “Forever,” but their equally catchy single “Falling” from their debut album Days are Gone was offered for free around the same time.

This week’s free offerings on iTunes include “Beggin for Thread,” an electronic-infused rhythm and blues track by British artist Jillian Banks, who goes by just her last name. Time will tell if the catchy song or one from her just-released debut album Goddess will make it onto American radio (some of her previous songs have received British airplay).

So, what are the benefits of releasing tracks for free, especially for such a high-profile act as U2? According to a letter from lead singer Bono on the band’s website, the album was only completed a week before its release. Apple bought the album to give to listeners in celebration of the ten-year anniversary of U2’s famous iPod commercial featuring their then-hit “Vertigo.” Bono goes on to say that the album is “[f]ree, but paid for. Because if no one’s paying anything for it, we’re not sure ‘free’ music is really free. It usually comes at a cost to the art form and the artist…which has big implications…for future musicians and their music…who need to make a living.”

Even though any Top 40 track might be available for free at the click of a button on any other music platform, albeit illegally, there are some legitimate free tracks available. Illegal downloads don’t help the artists get recognition or profit from their music. If a song is offered on iTunes for free, it is with the approval of the artist. Whether it’s established Grammy-winning pros or emerging artists, the weekly freebies give opportunities for voices new and old to revamp your tired-out playlists. What do you have to lose?