The intramural outdoor soccer season came to an end with two close victories in the championship games last Thursday night, as BFC took home the men’s trophy with a 2-1 win over Powerhouse, and Team Colby won the coed tournament with a 3-0 victory over Victorious Secret. 

Powerhouse wasted no time getting on the board in the men’s final, getting a goal at just one minute, 30 seconds into the game from Noa Iimura ’17, who capitalized on the BFC defense’s mistake.

At 3:45 BFC had a chance to equalize, but the free kick went wide. At 6:10, another opportunity presented itself for BFC, but the header did not make it to the back of the net. 

Powerhouse nearly doubled their lead at 12:50 when Iimura hit a volley off the post that bounced out. BFC’s Gabriel Carrasquillo ’18 shot, but Eric Gordon ’16 of Powerhouse made a diving save at 14:50, denying the goal.  The last opportunity of the half for BFC came at 15:30, but George Popa’s ’17 shot went over the cross bar.

BFC came out strong with multiple shots early in the second half.  Their first opportunity came at four minutes in with Alex Landau’s ’17 shot over the crossbar. Ben Berson ’15 quickly followed with shot at 4:45 of the half, unfortunately going wide left. One of Popa’s shot found the back of the net after Gordon mishandled the ball at 8:25 of the half. Powerhouse had a free kick at 9:30 of the half, but Olivier Bernardini’s ’15 shot did not result in a goal. With 6:30 left in the match, BFC took a lead they would not give up with Yuya Yoshida ’15 finishing a header off of a corner kick.

In the first half of the coed final, Team Colby came out strong, scoring two goals in the first three minutes. In the second minute, Colby Smith ’16 found the back of the net with a header off a corner kick. Within the next 23 seconds, Smith finished another goal, this time with a bending ball into the right side of the net. 

In the fourth minute, Tyler Diamond ’16 of Victorious Secret fired a shot, but it hit the crossbar. Tali Fleitman ’17 then dangled Team Colby with some brilliant footwork resulting in a shot on net, but the keeper came up with the save at 12:45 in the first half. 

In the first two minutes of the second half, Team Colby struck the back of the net again. Ben Maletta ’17 scored a volley into upper left corner for a goal-la-sol. 

Victorious Secret then turned on, dominating the stats for the middle of the second half.  In the 10th minute, Douglas Levine ’17 tipped a shot off the bar in an effortless save and was followed by teammate Bethany Rennich’s ’17 shot that hit outside of net in the 14th minute. 

Captain of Victorious Secret, David Getz ’15, tried to get on the board in the 15th minute of the half, but his shot went wide right. Smith made an attempt for a hat trick at 16 minutes into the half, but the point-blank shot was saved by Victorious Secret goalkeeper Eric Blinn ’16. Rennich fired a shot in the closing minutes, but the keeper made the save, locking in the shutout for Team Colby.

The intramural season continues with the flag football season, with play beginning last night and regular season games continuing through the end of October.