The women’s volleyball team opened their season at the Western Connecticut State Invitational this past weekend where the Judges broke a number of personal and school records. Defensive specialist Elsie Bernaiche ’15 set a new school record with 1,608 career digs, amassing 62 over the weekend, while middle blocker Summer Koop ’16 set a career high in both kills and hitting percentage against Mount Ida College on Saturday. 

The Judges went 1-2 on the season-opening weekend tournament, defeating Mount Ida in straight sets and falling to both Rivier University in the season-opener and host Western Connecticut State University.

Middle blocker Maddie Engeler ’16 saw the games as way to focus on what areas the team needs to strengthen. 

“We learned more from our losses than from our win,” she said. “We know that we have no lack of passion, fire and will to win. We just need to clean up some technical aspects and play as a more cohesive team unit.”

The squad struggled against Western Connecticut State on Saturday afternoon, falling in straight sets 9-25, 18-25, 12-25. Though the Judges managed just 15 kills over the three-set loss, the host Colonials recorded 29 kills from seven different players. Bernaiche had a match-best 24 digs, her highest total of the weekend, and passed Marni Kutok Friedman ’04 in the third set. The game was indicative of the new defensive-minded system coach Alesia Vaccari is trying to implement in her first year, something that stood out to Engeler.

“Our new defensive focus has been noticeable in our first tournament through the amount of digs we have accrued,” she said. “Our back row players are incredible and we have been working hard all preseason make the improvements Coach Vaccari has implemented.”

Earlier on Saturday, the team swept Mount Ida in straight sets, 25-14, 25-18, 25-11. Koop set a career high with nine kills on 13 attempts. Her .692 hitting percentage was also a career-best for the middle blocker. Seven members of the Judges recorded a kill in the game.

Engeler paced the squad in the opening game against Rivier, recording 10 kills, three digs and two blocks in the four-set loss. The Judges fell by a score of 23-25, 12-25, 25-21, 23-25 to Rivier. Engeler, who sat out last season due to injury, said her return to the court was “incredible.”

“After my knee injury last season, my team was unwavering in support and critical in my rehabilitation,” she said. “I feel stronger and better than ever, ready to contribute to an amazing season with my Brandeis volleyball family.”

The Judges also received strong performances from outside hitter Jessie Moore ’18 and Bernaiche. In her first collegiate game, Moore recorded 10 kills and four digs, tied with Engeler for most on the squad. Bernaiche paced the defense with 17 digs.

Even with the pair of losses, Engeler saw plenty of positives.

“After the first tournament, I have no doubts that our team will do great things this season,” she explained. 

“While the win/loss column doesn’t show it, we are building the groundwork to dominate New England and excel in the [University Athletic Association].”

The Judges continue their season this weekend hosting the Brandeis Invitational, with games against Coast Guard University, Wellesley College and Wesleyan University. The squad will host Coast Guard on Friday at 6 p.m. to open the tournament.