The softball team fought their way to a split in their latest doubleheader against Husson University on Saturday in Orono, Maine-their only game of the week due to weather postponements.

The Judges took the first game by a score of 9-4 but fell in the second game 6-2, moving to 10-6 overall on the season.

The Judges had several standout players throughout both games, highlighted by an offensive outburst from catcher Cori Coleman '15, who had five hits on the day.
Coleman played catcher in the first game and took second base in the second game, going five for seven on the day with five RBI and four runs scored, including a pair of home runs.

The pair of home runs were her first and second on the season.
Outfielder Amanda Genovese '15 also contributed a standout performance, hitting four for eight and adding three more stolen bases to extend the Brandeis record for stolen bases to 98. Genovese's three steals brought her season total to 19 in just 16 games.

Second baseman Liana Moss '17 said she thought the two games showed the offensive capabilities of the Judges.

"We consistently prove that we are one of the best hitting teams in the Northeast," she said. "From the top of our lineup to the bottom, we perform offensively. Hitting is incredibly mental and I believe that everyone is in a very good mindset at this point in the season."

Brandeis scored the first run of both games but had to come from behind to grab the victory in the opener of the doubleheader.

Husson junior pitcher Kayla Merrill and sophomore right fielder Allison Hill broke a 1-1 tie in the bottom of the second with an RBI triple and an RBI single to give Husson a 4-1 lead. From there, pitcher Melissa Nolan '14 surrendered just two more hits and pitched a stellar game to give Brandeis the opportunity to win.

The Judges narrowed the gap in the top of the third inning after a two-run single by shortstop Anya Kamber '15. Nikki Cote '15 then provided the game-tying hit.

Merrill fell apart in the top of the fifth after surrendering back-to-back singles and consecutive walks, one of which led to the game winning RBI.

The Judges then never looked back. Coleman added some insurance runs in the sixth on the first of her two home runs of the day. After a pair of singles from Nolan and right fielder Danielle Novotny '16, Coleman had the ability to put the game away for the Judges. She brought home Nolan and Novotny with her sixth-inning home run, giving her 11 RBIs on the season.

"It goes without saying that Amanda Genovese is truly an exceptional athlete and softball player," said Moss. "I have all the faith in the world that she will extend her record for steals by a Brandeisian this season. Amanda is highly competitive, incredibly motivated, and a wonderful teammate.

"She can steal bases at will and leaves our opponents reeling every time she gets on base.

She is an extremely valuable asset to this team."

The nightcap featured a similar start after Coleman brought Genovese to home plate on an RBI single. However, Nolan failed to hold the lead, giving up an RBI single in the bottom of the second inning to tie the game. The game remained tied until the fourth inning when pitcher Emma Krulick '17 took over in relief, surrendering a run on an RBI double by Eagles freshman catcher Casey Lopes. Melissa Soleimani '17 then took the mound but the Eagles were able to tag her for two more runs in the sixth inning, the last runs of the day for the home squad.

Coleman's second home run of the day, a solo shot in the top of the sixth inning, was not enough to close the gap and the final score of 6-2 stuck.
Even with the loss, Moss said the team has their practice cut out.

"We will be working on fine-tuning some defensive communication that will be vital in our upcoming games against Wellesley [College]," she said. "We are a very close team that excels when we are relaxed and having fun."

After a long road trip and many weather postponements, the Judges are slated to make their first set of home appearances-weather permitting-in doubleheaders versus Wellesley tomorrow beginning at 3 p.m. and versus Endicott College on Thursday beginning at 3 p.m.