John Evans has guided the Brandeis track and field and cross-country programs to a plethora of success since taking charge as head coach in 2004.

In just 10 years he amassed many accolades. Evans led four teams to the NCAA Division III cross-country championships, saw 12 individuals earn All-America honors and 10 first-year athletes to University Athletic Association Rookie of the Year honors.

After a decade at the helm, Evans announced last Wednesday that he would resign at the conclusion of this semester. His wife Sinead Evans-an assistant coach with the program for the past four years-will step in as interim head coach for the remainder of the indoor season, as well as the 2014 outdoor track season.

Evans, who is also a consultant at New Balance, noted that while it proved to be an incredibly difficult decision, he felt it was best to now focus on a more work-intensive role.

"With my role at New Balance expanding, I felt that this was the time to focus my efforts there," Evans said. "This was a difficult decision, as I have loved every minute coaching at a great institution like Brandeis. I've worked with tremendous student-athletes over the years, hard workers and bright students."

Under Evans, the men's cross-country team experienced an unparalleled run of success, earning three straight trips to the NCAA championships between 2008 and 2010. The women, meanwhile, punched their ticket this fall to Nationals for the first time since 2001.

Evans also brought his own collegiate and professional success to the role.

Evans was a three-time Big East and IC4A champion at Providence College in 1989-eventually earning the coveted All-American honor in the 1500-meter run-and has coached professional runners at New Balance since 1994.

Now, as Evans departs, Sinead Evans will prepare for her first head coaching role since a short stint at Regis College in 2002.

Since joining the Brandeis staff in 2009, she has led the squads' distance and middle-distance runners to several strong finishes. Eight runners under her supervision qualified for the NCAA Division III track and field championships, two of whom included All-Americans Grayce Selig '11 and Chris Brown '12.

In a Dec. 4 press release, Senior Associate Director of Athletics Lynne Dempsey cited that while John Evans' indispensable contributions will be sorely missed, the Judges consider it an asset to give control of the program to Sinead.

"He has brought quality student-athletes to the Judges' program over the years, both on the track and off," Dempsey said.

"We will miss him and wish him well, but we are glad that we can keep the program in the family."
*