The Justice published its first issue in March 1949, a six-page spread telling the stories of the very first year at Brandeis. Page five held a column created by Sports editor at the time, Lou Lindauer.

‘The Press Box," a column with news on Brandeis and worldwide sports, had a description reading “This is it, guys and gals, your sports column. With our Staff of sports experts (?) and armchair quarterbacks, we will try to bring to you in condensed form the most important news in the sports World, and in the athletic activities of Brandeis.” Capturing the humorous essence of the Brandeis student right off the bat, the headlines ignite a passion for sports amongst readers for decades to come.

At the start of the school year, Brandeis did not offer any organized sports, but according to the article, two groups formed football teams: the Irky’s Jerkies led by Captain Irky and the Baron’s Babies. The Jerkies prevailed over the Babies with a score of 21 to 6. 

Following the jolts of the vigorous football season came the first snow, and therefore, pent up energy on the part of these athletes. As a result, the Brandeis athletes took up boxing, wrestling and even water pistol duels. Unfortunately, these sports did not receive the same raging attention as their respective counterparts, leaving the athletes dry and the university infrastructure wet.

Basketball season was to follow, as the teams utilized the Waltham gym and donated equipment. The talent of Ivan “The Prophet” Seder and Al Greenwald did not go unnoticed, their skills highlighting a bright future to come. The hopeful athletes prayed for a coach in their near futures, longing to “flex their muscles and show [their] ability on the field of competition.”

The issue even boasts the introduction of a newer sport to their game rotation, ping-pong. In their spare moments, these athletes partook in intense matches, said to result in some team-on-team upsets. 

The sports staff predicted the future of Brandeis athletics’ coverage in the student newspaper, hoping for the introduction of softball, handball, swimming and volleyball. With high hopes for what lay ahead, they called upon the creation of a new softball diamond and courts amongst the buildings we still know and love. Fortunately, we’ve come a long way from The Justice's 1949 first sports column. Our sports section now proudly features a five-page spread, highlighting 19 varsity teams and the sheer talent and discipline of our Brandeis athletes. While staying true to the visions of our predecessors, Brandeis sports coverage has flourished in ways previously unimaginable. As said best by the original sports staff, “You’ll always win if you’re a good sport.”