“Jury Duty” is a weekly column that spotlights different Brandeis student-athletes. Please email sports@thejustice.org if you would like to nominate someone. We hope to bridge the gap between student-athletes and non student-athletes by highlighting relatable content to make the community feel more approachable. If you see a highlighted athlete around campus, introduce yourself! Or head to Gosman and cheer them on.  

Hana Bean ’27 is a first-year on the Brandeis softball team and has recently had an exceptional set of games this weekend. She hit her first collegiate home run in the third inning in the team’s first game in a doubleheader against Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Additionally, she scored during the second inning, bringing the score between the Judges and WPI to 7-2. Her home run helped keep WPI at bay after they scored three times during the third inning, making the score 9-5. She hit her second home run during the team’s second game against WPI that day to even out the score. Though the game was suspended due to darkness, Bean’s offense proved to be critical as the Judges tied it at 7-7 in the final inning. 

In her budding collegiate career at Brandeis, Bean has shown herself to be a great shortstop, making assists and consistently playing tough defense. In just seven games she’s put out eight plays, assisted in five more and made only two errors — giving her a fielding percentage of .867. Prior to her time at Brandeis, she played at St. Paul’s School in New Hampshire, setting five overall solo and team records.

While not on the field, Bean likes to hang out at the International Business School and enjoys listening to artists such as Sleepy Hollow, Polo G, 21 Savage and Travis Scott. Despite the weather staying cold and rainy, she enjoys eating strawberry ice cream and loves “exploring different cultures through food.” When she’s not on the softball field or being an academic weapon — both in and out of the classroom — she’s likely sleeping. With an impressive weekend under her belt, her career looks promising. Head down to Marcus Field to cheer on Bean and the rest of the Brandeis softball team in their upcoming games!

Editor's Note: Sports editor Rani Balakrishna 25 is a member of the Brandeis softball team and did not contribute to any part of this article.