On Feb. 1, 2024, Wicked Queer: The Boston LGBTQ+ Film Festival announced the dates for “WQ: 40,” the 40th edition of its annual Queer film festival. Originally created by film programmer George Mansour in 1984, Wicked Queer is entering its fourth decade of platforming LGBTQ+ stories from all over the globe. Through its exclusively volunteer based team, the organization has created a festival for the community, by the community. The organization is sponsored by the Queer Film Institute and partners with various cultural organizations in Boston including the Boston Asian American Film Festival, the Boston Latino International Film Festival, andQueer Muslims of Boston. The 40th anniversary marks a milestone in Wicked Queer’s journey of celebrating Queer identity, diversity, and resilience.

As in previous years, the festival will take place in various theaters, art museums, and educational venues across the greater Boston area. Attendees can look out for screenings in many locations accessible by Brandeis’ shuttle or public transit, including the Brattle Theater, the Museum of Fine Arts, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Emerson College, Boston University, the Institute of Contemporary Art, and the Coolidge Corner Theater. The festival is set to run from April 5 to April 14. Be sure to head on over to one of the aforementioned theaters to enjoy ten days of film, discussion, and celebration of the worldwide LGBTQ+ community!