“Jury Duty” is a weekly column that spotlights different Brandeis student-athletes. Please email sports@thejustice.org if you would like to nominate someone. We hope to bridge the gap between student-athletes and non student-athletes by highlighting relatable content to make the community feel more approachable. If you see a highlighted athlete around campus, introduce yourself! Or head to Gosman and cheer them on.

Dean Carey ’25, a member of the Brandeis men’s track and field team, recently came back to compete after suffering from medical setbacks and adversity the past two years. A sprinter from New York, Carey came back the weekend of Feb. 2 at Tufts University after taking nearly two years off for medical absence. Carey battled chronic heart conditions linked to long COVID-19 from March 2022 but showed up at the Cupid Invitational like he never left the track.

A 2022-2023 University Athletic Association Winter All-Academic Recognition Honoree, Carey also stood out recently in the Boston University Valentine Invitational on Feb. 10. After his comeback the prior weekend, he ran a personal record in the 200 with a time of 23.20 seconds. This 0.5-second improvement along with a heartwarming recovery story has made Carey worthy of recognition many times over. Prior to his medical absence, Carey had strong performances for the Judges, taking part in relays and other events. Following his return, his future looks bright as he gets acclimated to the track again.

Off of the track, you can find Carey resting in the Skyline Commons, or listening to Billy Joel, his favorite artist. When the weather gets warmer, Carey loves black raspberry ice cream from Lizzy’s on Moody Street. Looking beyond athletics and academics, the junior is a proud member of Brandeis VoiceMale, a masculine-centered acapella group on campus. Support Carey’s comeback story on the track at Gosman or at VoiceMale’s semester show on Apr. 19. And don’t hesitate to say hello if you see him around campus! Go Judges!