A small group of approximately 40 students, faculty, and community members gathered in Fellows Garden on Nov. 17 to recognize the one-year anniversary of the tragic Nov. 19  shuttle accident, which resulted in the death of student Vanessa Marks and 27 injured students.

Lara Ericson, the associate director of the Center for Spiritual life, made a speech at the brief five minute event in which she reflected on how the accident caused both mental and physical harm to those involved. She asked participants to call to mind the students on the bus; the family and friends of Vanessa Marks; the first responders on and off campus the night of the accident; the students, faculty, and staff who have assisted in supporting the community; and everyone else who was impacted by the accident. After the speech, a member of the Center for Spiritual Life lit a candle and the group held a moment of silence. 

Ericson clarified the importance of a moment of silence. “In a moment, we’re going to light a candle and just observe a period of silence to feel the strength of community that is being together even when we are not saying anything,” she said. Members of the Center for Spiritual Life and the Brandeis Counseling Center were available after the event for students to speak to.

Among the faculty in attendance was President Ronald Liebowitz, who stood with Student Union President Noah Risley ’24. 

“On one hand, it’s hard to believe it’s been one year. In some ways it feels much longer, in other ways of course it feels like just yesterday.” Liebowitz told the Justice following the event. “But thinking about these students, it was a horrific accident and it’s just a good way to get together and think about where those students are … It’s very meaningful to see folks here honoring them.”

In the past year, the accident and its aftermath has remained the subject of news as the Brandeis community has worked towards healing. In August, Vanessa Marks’ family filed a lawsuit against Joseph’s Transportation; in September, the University shared an accident report; earlier this month, the shuttle driver at the time of the crash was criminally charged with motor vehicle homicide and speeding. While Brandeis Student Union isn’t involved in any legal proceedings, Risley addressed the importance of not losing the focus of those impacted by the accident.

“It’s good to remember that this shuttle crash affected all of us, and it was a real tragedy, and it’s good to keep that emotional center before we start talking about ‘Oh, how many hours was the driver working? How fast was he going? Stuff like that,” Risley said. “When I look back at my four years at Brandeis, this is one of the, if not the most significant ... events and I think that paying our respects is the least that we can do.”

On Nov. 19, Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences Jeffrey Shoulson sent an email to the community, where he briefly recognized the impact the accident had: “I write to mark the day, to extend my sympathies to those who continue to mourn Vanessa’s passing, and to invite all of you to take a moment to remember,” he wrote. Shoulson included several resources for students who needed to speak with a professional regarding the accident, such as the Brandeis Counseling Center's therapy services, the Office of Spiritual Life’s staff, and the Office of Health and Wellness Promotion’s Care and Comfort website.