While the next presidential general election is just over a year away, the 2023 off-year elections are primarily scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 7. This election cycle will include gubernatorial and state legislative contests, as well as various citizen initiatives, mayoral races, and local positions.

To prepare for the upcoming national, state, and local elections, here are some things to keep in mind.

Registering to vote 

The system for voter registration varies across each state. Certain states allow for online registration while others do not. Deadlines also differ from state to state, so it's important to reach out to your state and local election offices or Vote.gov to become familiar with your state’s registration process. 

Voting methods

If you plan on voting at the polls, make sure to locate your designated polling place in advance, be aware of its operating hours, and know the voter identification laws of your state. 

• Polling locations are based on your place of residence. Eligible and registered voters can visit the National Association of Secretaries of State’s Find Your Polling Place page to be directed to your Secretary of State’s website to find the polling location they are assigned.
  • Polling locations for both state and federal elections open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m. If you are in line by closing, stay in line as you are entitled to vote and must be given the opportunity to cast a ballot.
  • States determine individual voter ID laws. Some states may require a photo ID like a driver's license, state ID, or passport to receive a ballot upon your arrival. Others may ask for a voter registration card, birth certificate, or Social Security card.

If voting in-person on Election Day is not feasible, alternative ways to take part in the electoral process include casting an absentee or mail-in ballot or participating in early voting. 

• Absentee voting requires eligible voters to request that a ballot be sent to them. Reasoning is required. Some acceptable reasons include: having an illness, injury, or disability that restricts your ability to get to the poll, being outside of the U.S., county, or city of residence on Election Day, or being a student at an out-of-state college or university. Visit the National Association of Secretaries of State’s “Absentee & Early Voting” page to be redirected to your state's absentee voting page. 
  • Vote-by-mail allows for ballots to be mailed to every registered voter, without the voter needing to proactively request it. 
  • Early voting allows you to vote in person before Election Day. Check with your state election office to see if early voting is an option.

Methods for casting ballots vary depending on state laws. For information regarding the available voting options in your state, the deadline for requesting a ballot, and when to submit it, refer to your state's election authority or the official state election website.

Track your ballot

To ensure your vote has been counted, it's a good practice to check the status of your ballot. The tracking capabilities vary based on states, but Vote.org has created a ballot tracking resource by state website for voters to confirm their ballot has been accounted for. 

Important dates and deadlines

Most of the 2023 off-year elections will take place primarily on Tuesday, Nov. 7, but it can vary based on the state. Visit the U.S. Vote Foundation or state election websites to find specific up to date federal, state, and local election-related info. 

What's on the ballot? 

Whether you vote in-person on Election Day or pursue alternative methods, it is important to know the candidates and ballot measure you will be voting on, as it may impact you or your community. To learn about what will be on your ballot, Vote411.org can provide information on what races are happening and what policies are voted on. 

It's never too early to be prepared and informed about the election process. Visit the USA.gov “Voting and Election” website for more information.