With winter rapidly approaching, Brandeis has begun preparations for flu season. To combat the spread, the Golding Health Center is administering flu vaccinations to all undergraduate and graduate students. According to its website, the flu outbreak typically “peaks in January or February, with outbreaks occurring through May.” 

In a Sept. 15 email, the Health Center announced that it will be hosting flu clinics every Wednesday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m., effective Sept. 27 until Dec. 20. Students can schedule appointments on their online patient portals or call the Health Center at 781-736-3677. The online portal displays a calendar with all the available dates and times. The Health Center also sends communication for seasonal vaccines to students through the Electronic Health Record, a repository of electronic records with patient health information. 

The Health Center is also hosting flu vaccine pop-ups on Oct. 17 in the International Lounge from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.; Oct. 24 in the Shapiro Campus Center from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.; Oct. 26 in Gosman Sports and Convocation Center from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.; and Oct. 31 in Feldberg Lounge from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Although registration is recommended, walk-ins are welcome while supplies last.

Massachusetts State Regulations 105 CMR 220.600 requires students to have documentation of required vaccinations or proof of immunity through antibody blood titers prior to coming to campus. Examples of required vaccinations include MMR, Hepatitis B, and polio. The influenza flu vaccine is not mandatory but recommended. 

The Health Center states that approximately 5% to 20% of the U.S. population is infected with the Influenza virus every year. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention states that people with the flu are most contagious in the first three to four days after they initially contract the virus. According to the World Health Organization, there have been multiple influenza pandemics throughout history, with the four most recent ones occurring in 1918-1919, 1957-1958, 1968-1969, and 2009-2010.