Dear Editor,

I’m writing to express my concern about the current state of mental health services at Brandeis University (and to offer a possible solution to address some of these issues). For context, the recent article published by The Justice, "Brandeis Counseling: We Need Better Help”, highlighted the critical importance of accessible and affordable mental health services for Brandeis students, and how the Brandeis Counseling Center (BCC) is unfortunately falling short of meeting its students’ needs. This is very disheartening to hear!

The piece outlined several areas in which the BCC could improve, such as addressing understaffing, offering long-term care, easing the consultation process, and implementing additional training for therapists on gender and sexuality. As the authors state, “If Brandeis is going to advertise itself as an institution that is safe for and supportive of all of its students, then the mental health resources offered need to be significantly improved moving forward.”

However, what concerns me most is that students seeking help right now aren’t receiving the support they absolutely need to ensure their health and safety on campus.

In the interim, as the BCC (hopefully) works to implement these necessary changes, I’d like to suggest a solution for Brandeis students seeking therapists that cater to their specific needs, such as long-term or LGBTQ+ providers. Online therapy providers may help “fill the gap” where the BCC is currently lacking, especially where understaffing is concerned. Some online providers offer financial assistance for those who qualify, as well.

It’s my hope that the BCC will take the suggestions made by The Justice to heart and act swiftly to make necessary improvements. By doing so, they can ensure the mental health services offered at Brandeis University are truly accessible and supportive for all students. This will not only benefit the students themselves but also create a more inclusive and nurturing campus environment.

Thank you to The Justice Editorial Board for bringing attention to this important issue - I believe that, with the right actions, we can work together to make Brandeis University a place where all students can thrive, both academically and emotionally.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Advocate for Accessible Mental Health Resources