In an April 18 press release, the Division of Student Affairs at Brandeis University announced a multi-phase enhancement project to the Shapiro Campus Center. 

As stated in the press release, the initial phase — which is expected to be completed by the beginning of the fall 2023 semester — will focus on reallocating and improving spaces for student organizations. They also plan to introduce additional amenities in common spaces, such as new furniture in the Multipurpose Room and TV Lounge. Food insecurity resources will be relocated from inside the game room in lower Usdan to the SCC as well.

“We are excited to give a refresh to one of most utilized, student-focused buildings on campus after two decades of use,” Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Shelby Harris said in the press release. “From our review, we know that students spend a great deal of time in the Shapiro Campus Center and we are making these changes so that the space better meets their needs.”

The Student Affairs Division also plans to form an “SCC Advisory Board” during the 2023-2024 academic year. The board is to consist of students, faculty, and staff  “to ensure representation in the ongoing assessment and planning of SCC use.” During the school year, additional aesthetic and functionality upgrades will take place, such as updated signage, increased club and organization storage, furniture revampment, centralized resources, and moving the game room into the campus center, where it is more accessible. 

According to the SCC website, Student Affairs initiated a review of the SCC earlier in the semester to better understand how “current programs, services and spaces align with best practices as identified by the Association of College Unions International and the College Union principles outlined by the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education, the University’s Framework for the Future, and the needs of today’s students.” 

652 stakeholders, including but not limited to students, the Student Union, and Student Affairs staff responded to a survey sent out on Feb. 13 by Harris. The survey expressed desires for upgraded food options, independent and collaborative study spaces, and flexible meeting and event spaces in the SCC. 

“These updates will modernize and energize the Shapiro Campus Center, making the building the true living room of campus,” Matt Galewski, director of student engagement, said in the press release. “We are excited to bring together a broader variety of student interests, organizations, and resources into a key central hub of student life at Brandeis."

More information can be found in the executive summary on the SCC website.