With the start of the spring semester, more than 100 new midyear students began their college journeys. Midyears are accepted into Brandeis during the regular admissions process, but are enrolled starting in the spring semester. The midyears of the class of 2026 moved in on Sunday, Jan.15, for two full days of orientation before classes began on Tuesday, Jan.17. 

Isabella Chan ’26 said, in a Jan.30th interview with the Justice, that “it’s easy to get from one place to another and everyone is really accommodating.” She explained that her classes have been manageable so far and even if she struggled, she knows there are resources to help her, like the writing center for UWS or her professors’ office hours. Professors have made it clear where students can go for extra assistance, thus making the transition easier. She also makes a recommendation for students to get the strawberry banana smoothie from Einstein Bros in the Shapiro Campus Center, which she is already hooked on after 3 weeks.

Nick D’Ortona ’26 said that one aspect of his acclimation that he has struggled with was how students who came to campus in the fall have already made connections. “Luckily, me and some other midyears have formed a group… so that has made it a lot easier.” 

D’Ortona took advantage of Orientation events like the Blanket Bonanza on Jan. 16, a movie night exclusively for midyears, where they were encouraged to wear pajamas and bring blankets to watch “Encanto.” The Department of Orientation and First Year Experience provided stress toys, snacks, and face masks for students to enjoy. This was considered the last event of the midyear orientation, but more events for all students are scheduled later in the semester. 

Reflecting on their Orientation Leaders, D’Ortona said that they had answered any questions he had. “Honestly I think they really nailed it,” he said.

The Orientation Leaders worked tirelessly to prepare for the midyears’ arrival, even choreographing a couple of dances for “Deis, Deis, Baby,” an event on the first night of orientation. Midyears made stuffed animals, enjoyed snacks and hot chocolate, took pictures with their new friends, and more. 

Aman Qutab ’24, an Orientation Leader who joined the team for this year’s midyear orientation, described the preparation process as covering “every possible resource” on campus. According to Qutab, the Brandeis Counseling Center and the Hiatt Career Center were some of many resources that OLs learned more about to convey their importance to incoming students. 

Qutab’s favorite part of the experience was meeting her orientation group. OLs and midyears spoke via WhatsApp and other communication networks before arrival, so they were able to become familiar with one another before the process began. Although the midyear orientation was shorter than the one for the fall semester, students were still able to make friends in their OL groups. 

As midyears continue to adjust, Qutab recommends that they continue to get involved in clubs and events and advises to look out specifically for the intercultural clubs and events, which are some of her personal favorites.

Brandeis midyears are not alone in their adjustment. Among the many resources are midyear Ambassadors — midyears from previous years who plan events and answer questions for the incoming class. According to the “New Students” page of the Brandeis website, the “Orientation Team will ‘pass the baton’ to the Ambassadors.” With the conclusion of orientation, midyear Ambassadors are able to speak on their own experiences of adjusting to life on campus for the current midyear class. Information on each of the midyear Ambassadors can be found in every midyear’s email, or in the “New Student Orientation” section of the Brandeis website. 

Midyears should look out for more events open to all students, as this is a way for them to connect with their entire class. The involvement fair on Jan. 22 gave midyears the opportunity to see what clubs Brandeis has to offer and possibly start their own if they feel something is missing. Events hosted by clubs can be seen around campus, most specifically in the Shapiro Campus Center on the flier wall near the exit. 

Don’t be afraid to reach out to any new students around campus. They could possibly be a midyear or just someone you’ve never seen before. Either way, new friends never hurt.