The Student Union Senate gave probationary status to the Brandeis Science Research Connection Club, approved a Senate Money Resolution, and passed a bylaw amendment relating to elections at its Jan. 29 meeting.

SRCC co-President Michelle Lin ’24 explained that the club’s purpose is to provide knowledge, skills, and community to Brandeis undergraduates interested in gaining research experience on campus. Lin said that students often do not know how to approach professors about joining their lab groups.

Sen. Koby Gottlieb ’26 expressed doubt about the club’s uniqueness.

“My concern with this club is that it basically does what others do,” said Gottlieb, whose field of study is in the humanities. “I don’t think there’s that much of a need for this club.”

In a separate comment to the Justice, Sen. James Brosgol ’25, a chemistry major, said “the current resources are not enough, and there is a need that the non-science people are unable to [understand].”

The Senate voted to give probationary status to the SRCC, with 12 senators voting in favor, three voting against, and Sen. Nicholas Kanan ’23 abstaining.

Student Union President Peyton Gillespie ’25 presented a Senate Money Resolution for the purchase of a lilac-colored Fujifilm Instax Mini 11 camera to replace one owned by former President Krupa Sourirajan ’23. Sourirajan had lent her camera to the Union for use at events. The camera recently stopped working after use at a Union-sponsored event. The Senate expedited and approved the SMR by acclimation.

Gillespie also presented an amendment to the bylaws which would prevent Union officials from running for positions within their current branch before their term is up unless their current term is concluding within 30 days. Gillespie said that this is intended to prevent officials from guaranteeing themselves a seat in office by running for a seat that would extend their term.

The Senate voted almost unanimously to approve the change. Only Kanan abstained, explaining that he contributed to the “wordsmithing” of the amendment.

Sen. Eamonn Golden ’24 said that he would be working on getting Halal food in the dining halls. Golden said this was available last semester, but that Harvest Table no longer served specifically Halal foods.