The Student Union Senate chartered three clubs and recognized a fourth at its March 27 meeting. The Senate also approved a Senate Money Resolution to provide funding for t-shirts for this semester’s Midnight Buffet.

Sen. Samantha Shortall ’22, who is in charge of the Midnight Buffet, presented the shirts to the Senate, and said that she had added some larger sizes since there were not enough for all the attendees last semester.

The Senate voted to expedite the SMR so that they would not need to wait until next week to vote on approving it. The Senate then voted to approve the SMR by acclamation.

Jason Dayan ’23 returned to the Senate to request that they charter the Brandeis Haircutting Club. Dayan said that the club was working with Chabad and Hillel in order to organize a community haircutting drive. The haircutting at the drive would be done by a local barbershop, Dayan said, as haircutting requires a license which students do not have.

The Senate chartered the club by acclamation.

Samantha Atlas ’25 came to ask the Senate to charter the Hot Pilates Club. Atlas said that Pilates is like “the opposite of yoga” in that it “integrates the body and the mind.”

Atlas said that the club would need funding in order to hire a professional to lead the club’s weekly sessions.

Joseph Pendleton ’24 came to the Senate to ask that they charter the Effective Altruism Club. He explained that effective altruism is a philosophical ideology based on the idea of using evidence and reason to do the most good for the most people.

Pendleton said that there will be an eight-week fellowship each semester to introduce students to the ideas of effective altruism.

The Senate chartered the Effective Altruism Club by roll call, with all present voting in favor, except Camaron Johnson ’25, who abstained.

Joshua Liu ’23 asked the Senate to recognize the Brandeis Pokemon Club. The difference between chartering and recognition is that a recognized club can book spaces on campus but not request school funding, whereas a chartered club can do both.

Although the Senate had concerns over Liu’s indication that the club has no treasurer or e-board, many senators were still in favor of recognition.

“I think they should become a club,” Sen. Joseph Coles ’22 said. “All they’re asking is to book space, so very reluctantly I’ll vote for them.”

The Senate voted to recognize the club by acclamation.