The Student Union Senate chartered the Brandeis Chess Club at its March 13 meeting.

Zared Cohen ’25 and Marcus Sutton ’25 presented the Chess Club to the Senate and explained that it is a place for students to learn and practice chess.

“Brandeis doesn’t have a chess club at all. It needs Deis Chess,” Cohen said.

Sutton said that the Chess Club would need funding in order to purchase chess supplies such as boards and timers, acquire membership to the United States Chess Federation, and provide transportation to tournaments.

The Pokemon Club was supposed to present at the Senate meeting, but none of its members attended.

Executive Sen. Ashna Kelkar ’24 said that the Union would be holding elections in order to fill a number of positions that have opened up due to resignations this semester. Sen. Joseph Coles ’22 expressed concern that these elections are not happening within the 14-day window after the resignations as mandated by the constitution. Kelkar said that not enough students had previously expressed interest in running, so elections could not be held within the proper time frame.

Sen. Nicholas Kanan ’23 told the Senate that the sustainability committee, in conjunction with the MakerLab, would be hosting an Upcycle Fest, in which students will be able to use plastic waste materials, mainly from the 3D printing process, to create works of art.